Build of my ‘88 RCSB C1500 owned for 20 years

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alignman88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Little more progress over the holidays, got the rear chassis brace/exhaust mount installed and almost finished. Cross brace is 1 1/2” thick wall square tube I’ve had laying around for years, then end plates and gussets are 3/16” plate that laid in the same pile as the tubing for a decade + lol. Ends of tube are cut at 5 degree angle and end plates are 8” long x 4” tall each. It barely fits back into the frame rails with those dimensions but once in place it’s perfect fit against inside of frame and clears the fuel tank at its rear by 1/2”.

The forward pointing leg that will hang has to be separate due to tight dimensions. Did go buy a 4’ stick of 1 1/2” 0.120 wall tube to make it with, and I sleeved it where bolts pass thru and boxed each end so it doesn’t hold water and drip rusty crud on the stainless exhaust. Total money spent was $8 for some small gussets from Speedway for the short piece mounting brackets and $12 for 4 foot of square tube, I’ll use the rest between front frame horns on another cross brace to keep the ends of frame more rigid under steering load.

Also Santa just dropped off the new radiator setup and I’m pleasantly surprised with how nice it is. AlloyWorks 4 row aluminum unit with 2 fans, shroud, and fan really/harness. I’ve
You must be registered for see images attach
had Griffin and have a Be Cool in my roadster and for an economy priced radiator the quality is damn sure nice enough for a driver I feel. Even came fully assembled with all needed fittings included. After rebate only $328 to my front door, hope it don’t leak ha ha!

alignman88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I feel like I missed something lol… is having an exhaust hanger the only reason for this cross member?
No sir @Orpedcrow not the only reason. I was already planning to add something to the rear to improve how the frame reacted to taking a higher horsepower hit on good tires with CalTracs and adjustable shocks like a simple X brace or at least this. Huge gap between front/rear spring hangers with no crossmember after one over tank and no support near upper shock mounts where load will be higher due to how CalTracs drive front hangers downward creating separation. In my mind it “might” flex or roll a tiny bit towards inboard on the hit then rebound which could unload the tires quickly. Probably making one at front frame rails too it’s surely gotta improve steering input over nothing there, one of the first tips I learned in an alignment shop, replacing rivets that had worked loose on ‘67-72 Chevy pickups I was obsessed with, huge improvement once frame couldn’t roll over/flex there. I’m just
tryna address variables as cheap as possible since materials were on hand and I’ve got the time lately.

I wanted an exhaust hanger there since I’m using the stainless dual 3” exhaust for the ‘99+ trucks with full tailpipes. They already have a hanger stud there and it’s between the mufflers and looooong tailpipe section with 4” tips. Kinda heavy and $$$ so I want it all well supported and not worry about it. And kinda just “busy work” Ive made up LOL. A pic from mocking it up.

alignman88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Received the electric cooling fan relay module I ordered from Current Performance and got it installed. I have some weatherproof relays already, but ran across this unit and felt it was a more complete/compact way to go with all fuses and relays in a package about the size as a pack of cigarettes. It is configured to operate e-fans through a ground trigger signal, and since my Holley EFI computer use ground triggers for turning on fans figured it was worth a shot for $75.00.

Extremely pleased with the quality! It arrives with plenty of proper gauge wires, looked to be 6ft. of main power and same to run to the fans and trigger wires wrapped in quality split loom with the ends wrapped in good cloth tape. The trigger wires have a nice weatherproof connector that reach to rear of engine where EFI connection is. It also has two long ground wires not in split loom with ring terminals that are heat shrink covered.

After shortening the wires and loom I put the quick connect ends for the fans on that I got from Speedway for ~ $5 each, and used some of the split loom from relay kit to cover the wires coming out of fan and heat shrink the ends. Finished it up with more adhesive backed heat shrink on loom ends and where I split the two fan power wires out of the loom.

Thought about putting relay on core support between it and battery but as I’m the type to drive everything I build across the country it seemed a little tough to access the relay if troubleshooting a fan issue on the road so it’s on the battery tray support for now.

Here’s the link to Current Performance

Attachments

• C81BB02C-DC4F-45F3-9330-78CA8EDE15F6.jpeg
    C81BB02C-DC4F-45F3-9330-78CA8EDE15F6.jpeg
    239.3 KB · Views: 22
  • F3B1D308-2D11-4711-9C5B-2625E3C41997.jpeg
    F3B1D308-2D11-4711-9C5B-2625E3C41997.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 733E1880-03F7-43F1-995B-F194BDD9B727.jpeg
    733E1880-03F7-43F1-995B-F194BDD9B727.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 16743008-4447-487E-A376-5DC519375856.jpeg
    16743008-4447-487E-A376-5DC519375856.jpeg
    278.8 KB · Views: 21

alignman88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man, that looks sweet, you are coming along nicely, extremely clean work.
Thanks I appreciate it!

My old man said something to me at 17 when I wanted to rebuild my ‘69 Chevy short bed (was mint original condition) after a nasty wreck. He would let me use a bay in his shop as long as I would “do it right, and that means as perfect as you can make it.” That was my first frame off every nut and bolt build.

Now 33 years later that’s just one of his little pearls that I hear in my head every day, especially when his ‘29 Model A roadster now sits in my garage next this current project (he found this truck for me). It’s like he’s quietly watching, checking my work from the other side. Kinda creepy really LOL.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I know my Dad is watching from the other side, when I'm wrenching. That was a favorite activity of ours...as long as it was at our convenience and not the vehicle's (roadside repairs or gotta -get -it- back-together- to -go-to-work). We spent many a Saturday at the self service wrecking yards; the hand stamp from the first one also got you into the other two! Back when LKQ was Pick Your Part and they were cheaper....

alignman88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm sure he would approve (Creepy or not) and that's what really matters.

America needs a lot more Dads like that. He would be proud of this build for sure.

Ever drive that "29" around any?
You could say I drive it around a bit. Only been on a trailer two times over the years when I moved. Last really long road trip was Hot Rod Power Tour in 2011. Drove from St. Louis, Missouri to the starting point in Cocoa Beach, Florida all the way to the end event in Detroit, Michigan then back home. 3,500 mile round trip with no major issues. Even made it on Hot Rod TV program rolling into the GM proving grounds for the long haulers day event.

Here’s a pic of it at Witches Gap on the Blue Ridge Parkway going up to Clingman’s Dome

Attachments

• 42954219-1E23-4082-96C9-C5376CCDBF29.jpeg
    42954219-1E23-4082-96C9-C5376CCDBF29.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 10

alignman88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know my Dad is watching from the other side, when I'm wrenching. That was a favorite activity of ours...as long as it was at our convenience and not the vehicle's (roadside repairs or gotta -get -it- back-together- to -go-to-work). We spent many a Saturday at the self service wrecking yards; the hand stamp from the first one also got you into the other two! Back when LKQ was Pick Your Part and they were cheaper....
Those are special times for sure. He had a trucking service that only served oil/gas exploration so anytime something broke (rarely I must add) out in the boonies at a location it was just work.