Build a hypothetical 3500HD.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
. Cold and wet doesn't sound like a good time.

No it's not. That's what it was like the last couple of days while I was pulling my Buick engine. I have noticed that wearing a hat helps a lot when working in the cold though.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Long term, sure. Let's see how that camper sits in the bed right now. I bet those front jacks are gonna be tight with the bed. Does it already have the dually swing out jacks?
It does have swing out jacks. I haven't measured the width between the jacks yet to see if they will clear an 8' wide bed. Even if they will clear, the camper won't clear the liftgate.

We plan on not worrying about putting the camper on until the renovation is done. We've also decided that this flatbed will find a new home and it will get replaced with an aluminum flatbed.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also forgot to mention that I'll be driving this sucker 3-4 times a week until tear down occurs. I took it to work today.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No. I've never been abusive to a bed so it isn't a concern for me.

It's not about that, the camper will move and bounce and I'd be concerned about that fatiguing the aluminium, but I have no experience with aluminum beds.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's not about that, the camper will move and bounce and I'd be concerned about that fatiguing the aluminium, but I have no experience with aluminum beds.
I'll still tie down to the frame so I'm not concerned at all about fatiguing aluminum in that aspect.

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you concerned at all with an aluminum bed getting beat up?
they hold up, look how many 18whlr flatbeds u see that are aluminum. I pulled a skateboard for about 6 months with everthing from kids tonka toy up to d6 dozer & a couple 220 excavators. Mostly construction equipment . Tools, generators, air tanks, & the heavy equipment

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'll still tie down to the frame so I'm not concerned at all about fatiguing aluminum in that aspect.

Speaking of that, what do you intend to make for frame tie downs? I know Torklift doesn't make a hitch for that truck because I already asked. They do have one for a Ford cab and chassis that they thought might work. I can't imagine there being much in the way of off the shelf tie downs for you. I personally have Torklift all around, but my dually came with the hitch and the 1500 had the front mount received dealies on it that I had powder coated prior to install on the dually. eBay got me the front mounts that slide in and the rear setup that bolts to the hitch was under $300, about half of what they charge for vehicle specific mounts.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Speaking of that, what do you intend to make for frame tie downs? I know Torklift doesn't make a hitch for that truck because I already asked. They do have one for a Ford cab and chassis that they thought might work. I can't imagine there being much in the way of off the shelf tie downs for you. I personally have Torklift all around, but my dually came with the hitch and the 1500 had the front mount received dealies on it that I had powder coated prior to install on the dually. eBay got me the front mounts that slide in and the rear setup that bolts to the hitch was under $300, about half of what they charge for vehicle specific mounts.
I don't have a specific plan until after we have a bed figured out.