Build a hypothetical 3500HD.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
On some other truck forums they say the GVW rating is just for the truck and when your towing a trailer the trailer rating is what matters. People are driving around with state approved 40k license plates with a 12k truck.

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
C3500HD frame for the "legal" GVWR/GCWR, 05+ F-550 axles for parts availability, common bolt pattern, GAWR, the fantastic brakes, and driver side drop front diff. Engine/trans of your choice, since it largely comes down to preference.

I was planning on beefing up a k2500 frame and running F-550 axles under an 80s burb before the used vehicle market went to **** and it became cheaper to build an ESV 2500.

You must be registered for see images attach

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On some other truck forums they say the GVW rating is just for the truck and when your towing a trailer the trailer rating is what matters. People are driving around with state approved 40k license plates with a 12k truck.
GVWR is indeed for just the truck. The V stands for vehicle, as in gross vehicle weight rating. What you're looking for is GCWR where C stands for combination, truck and trailer combined load.
Trailer rating matters for safety and if you have to scale it, because then axle weight comes into play.
All these different classifications matter in commercial hauling, but it's unlikely to be an issue running private. I have seen state police get shìtty with private trucks before, but typically they leave them alone.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
C3500HD frame for the "legal" GVWR/GCWR, 05+ F-550 axles for parts availability, common bolt pattern, GAWR, the fantastic brakes, and driver side drop front diff. Engine/trans of your choice, since it largely comes down to preference.

I was planning on beefing up a k2500 frame and running F-550 axles under an 80s burb before the used vehicle market went to **** and it became cheaper to build an ESV 2500.

F-550 axles, I like this idea.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Something like this.

Probably costs as much as the truck would.