Build a hypothetical 3500HD.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
My regular cab non HD 3500 rides like a wagon, to the point it's almost dangerous on a rough road, with the rear coming off the ground, and jumping all over the place.

Can't imagine it being worse.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My regular cab non HD 3500 rides like a wagon, to the point it's almost dangerous on a rough road, with the rear coming off the ground, and jumping all over the place.

This is way too heavy to come off of the ground. Eat fiber because at low speeds it will pack your colon.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

My crew doesn't do that, I bet wheelbase is a factor here. Something Skylark will have going in his favor with a crew cab. This is why I think a cab and chassis is the right balance here. Their frames, while not doubled like the HD, are significantly beefier than a regular 3500.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
My crew doesn't do that, I bet wheelbase is a factor here. Something Skylark will have going in his favor with a crew cab. This is why I think a cab and chassis is the right balance here. Their frames, while not doubled like the HD, are significantly beefier than a regular 3500.
We haven't taken our crew cab long bed out on any serious country roads, but some of the paved streets in Houston, Texas area are pretty rough with potholes and uneven surfaces. The big truck bounces, but doesn't try to change lanes, as long as you have a firm hand on the wheel. It does need shocks though and that would help!
On a smooth highway though, it's solid feeling and stable, and the 5.7 keeps up with the traffic without much effort. 75-80 easily and feels like it has plenty more if you need it....

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Definitely the short wheel base. I had a crew cab, lowered 5/7, and it rode like a Cadillac. Of course it had a couple leafs removed as well.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
My rclb rides like a wagon, but it didn't used to be that bad. I'm not sure what's changed. I've wondered if maybe the shackles are seized. It's got some rot in the frame up front, so I'm sorta kinda keeping my eye out for something to swap the engine or full drivetrain in to.

So Skylark, how quickly will you be digging into the HD? Make sure you've got a good camera, so we can ride along :cool:

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So Skylark, how quickly will you be digging into the HD? Make sure you've got a good camera, so we can ride along :cool:
The plan is to deal with the boost issues and throw in some glow plugs. Then we're going to put it to work with doing some property cleanup while looking for frame sections. Once those are in our hands we will list the drivetrain for sale. As soon as the cash transfers hands, the cab will be pulled off, drivetrain pulled and then the chassis will head to the welder.

When the HD tear down begins we'll continue the build under our dually thread. Until then we'll keep it here.