BTR quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95nProgress

Reaction score
I recently did some valve train work to my 5.3. Bought the BTR .560" valve springs and their V1 trunnion kit. During the installation of the trunnion kit the very first pair I installed did not feel smooth at all. The rotation felt like a zip tie. Closer examination of the trunnion bearing surface showed dinged, pitted and gouged surfaces (see pics below of the brand new trunnions). All of the trunnions were packaged together in one bag and I am most certain that is how the surfaces got damaged was them rubbing and banging against one another during shipping/handling. It was my mistake and I didn't realize at the time of purchase that BTR has a V2 kit that seems to have addressed this issue as it has pressed on hardened bearing surfaces. They really shouldn't even sell the V1 kits anymore at all. Additionally, the actual bearings that come with the V1 kits are china bearings.

This is my first experience with Brian Tooley racing products and their customer service (or lack there of) and I am not impressed at all. I tried to contact their customer service and it took a couple of e-mails for them to actually reply and all I got was to contact the company through which I purchased them.

Putting this out there for two reasons:
1. This being my first experiences with BTR, is all of their other stuff crap too?
2. As a warning to those who may be inclined to purchase the V1 trunnion kit from Brian Tooley racing. Don't do it! I really can't even suggest their V2 kit but it seems that it would be better?

You must be registered for see images attach

And yes, these are supposed to be brand new trunnions.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope it's generally good because I have a couple of their products on my new motor. Head gasket being the main one that I really hope is good. It looks like OEM.

I'm lazy and buy Michigan Motor Sports new OEM rockers with the trunions already installed. I did the cost comparison and decided it was worth the $40 or whatever it was to let them do it.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Did you buy directly from BTR or from another company?

95nProgress

Reaction score
Did you buy directly from BTR or from another company?
Got them from michiganmotorspors which is a verified BTR reseller. I have been talking with them for a possible solution. It shouldn't be their problem as they are just a reseller but BTR seems to think the same.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not to be indelicate, but you are their problem since they're who sent them to you. Not saying -you're- a problem, but it's their job to take care of you, then they deal with BTR if needed. They get their volume discount on items to resell and then mark them up and pass them along, meaning dealing with the customer at that level is their responsibility. It's BTR's responsibility to answer to them, not you.

Richard

95nProgress

Reaction score
Well I went ahead and purchased the V2 BTR trunion kit as I am expecting to send back the V1 kit for a refund. Received the V2 kit which is supposed to be better with pressed on hardened bearing inner surfaces and one of the trunions received looked like this..........

W.T.F.!!!
I notified the vendor and they are sending me another one to replace it. Additionally, the bearings that came with the "upgraded" V2 kit are the same china bearings the V1 kit had. I thought I saw a review of the V2 kit somewhere on youtube where the v2 kit came with bearings made in USA, guess not. I really wish I would not have even messed with this "upgrade" as the OEM rocker trunion bearings were still good from what I can tell. All I can say is that both the V1 and V2 trunion upgrade kits from BTR are crap. I guess this is just a sign of the times, who needs quality control anyway?

Brian

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Later rockers are supposed to be beefier than the early ones. I know my 04 Z06 has the good ones from GM. What year is your 5.3?