Broken shifter cable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evsnova74

Reaction score
Apparently I'm not out of the water yet. I'm letting my niece borrow this thing while my brother works on her absolute POS Dakota. He texted me the other day saying that now the trans won't shift into P or 1. At first I didn't see how this was possible but it later occurred to me that whatever locks the cable when adjusting it must have come loose? The problem is it's not in my possession so I can't take a look at it myself. He said the cable isn't linked or bent or anything. I haven't heard back yet but I just told him to watch YT videos on adjusting the cable down by the trans and see what happens.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Apparently I'm not out of the water yet. I'm letting my niece borrow this thing while my brother works on her absolute POS Dakota. He texted me the other day saying that now the trans won't shift into P or 1. At first I didn't see how this was possible but it later occurred to me that whatever locks the cable when adjusting it must have come loose? The problem is it's not in my possession so I can't take a look at it myself. He said the cable isn't linked or bent or anything. I haven't heard back yet but I just told him to watch YT videos on adjusting the cable down by the trans and see what happens.
There's a clip on the cable end,that goes into the transmission linkage. This clip is plastic and old plastic breaks. What finally fixed mine on the Burb, was replacing this pin and clip with a bolt and lock nuts.
When these linkages are old, they get slop in them, same thing with the cable. Especially if you have a tilt column; the linkage is so complex to make everything work....

evsnova74

Reaction score
There's a clip on the cable end,that goes into the transmission linkage. This clip is plastic and old plastic breaks. What finally fixed mine on the Burb, was replacing this pin and clip with a bolt and lock nuts.
When these linkages are old, they get slop in them, same thing with the cable. Especially if you have a tilt column; the linkage is so complex to make everything work....
The cable is only a few months old though. I haven't heard about it for a few days so he must have fixed it.

Apparently a tire blew out so I'm probably going to have to get new tires on these wheels even though I'm not a big fan of em. Oh well, that'll sove a problem temporarily an I can think about converting everything over to 6 lug at some point.