Breaking yard etiquette. Discussion debate personal views please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Went to the self service yard in north Houston last week. Their inventory list online said they had a truck I wanted some rare bits from. So...we plan to go across town, see the best route to stay off the freeways. Got over there a little bit after they open in the morning, headed in, and checked my list to remind myself where that one was. Noticed they've reconfigured the yard since the last time Dad and I were out there (prolly 15 years ago).
That truck is there; one piece I wanted is gone, others are unusable, but the main item is still there! So I got it out and continued to look at the trucks on my list. Found a few more parts.
The truck section is in two parts, divided by the main road. Heading across with my bucket and tool sack, a guy asked me if I knew anything about pulling doors. Turns out he has a '98 S10 and there's one out there with the nice driver's door he needs, but he didn't bring the tools to get it. Long story a little shorter, we got the door pulled(they're pretty similar to 400s and I remember swapping the door on the Burb). And he gave me a few bucks for helping him!
Then, as I'm done looking (found everything I can afford to buy this time!) I found one of the yard wheelbarrows available. My bucket and bag were pretty heavy by now, with the parts + my tools. So I load up, and another guy is struggling with a fender, washer bottle and a toolbox and tool bag, heading to cash out like me. He asked me if I was going up front, and I said yes I was. So he asks if he can put some of his stuff on the barrow so he doesn't drop it. I said sure can, and scooted my stuff around so all he was carrying is the fender.
As hot as it's been, nobody's out at the yard unless they need to be. So I got some parts I needed, and helped a couple of fellow wrenches out too.
The other yard, closest to me, that I hit a pretty complete Escalade three weeks ago in...I was gonna go back in a week and get some more parts off it, but couldn't get over there. Then when I had some $$ the damn thing is off their inventory list! Hope a 400 owner or a fellow member got some goodies off it....
And anyone headed out to pull parts in this heat, or even just wrenching at home...stay hydrated!!! I freeze the half liter water bottles, and they melt gradually and you have good cold water. You can use them in a cooler like that too, and not use as much ice. Gatorade or equivalent is good too, between bottles of water. If you chill it in the freezer and hour or so, it makes a nice slushie.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since we're allowed to discuss personal views, does it make anyone else physically angry how horribly abused some of these GMT400 trucks/SUVs are? I'm not talking about bare bones W/Ts that are 2WD, 4.3 V6 regular cab with no thrills. I'm talking about pickups like mine that are just as well equipped if not better equipped than mine. A couple stories talk about people breaking parts to get to other parts, but the GMT400s I see at my local U Pull are just BEAT down. Looks like a flthy hoarders house inside, interior parts are already smashed (don't worry, my dash is cracked already) Front end smashed like they went 30+ MPH into a light pole, and terrible, yee yee boy d*uchebag mods that add nothing to these vehicles other than to show off how "bada**" you are. I'm also not just talking salt rust beat down, but just looks like the owner/s just didn't give two s**** and a f*** about it and just drove these vehicles to the ground.

I LOVE my truck and will own it until the frame snaps in half. These vehicles are comfortable, well designed looks wise and (I will get flak for this) mechanically designed well too. If. you keep it in its stock configuration, 4L60Es and 10 bolt rear axles are fine. My 1st 4L60E died at 238K and the transmission tech at my local Buick/GMC dealer said that that there was no catastrophic failure and the only thing he could guess is that the trans got old and died. My second trans died bc the aftermarket trans cooler failed leaking trans fluid and burning up the second trans. My two 10 bolt rear axles both worked fine and they rusted away before they failed mechanically. I went to a 14 bolt rear axle bc why not while I'm at it and I ended up scoring a <183K rear axle from KS for $575 after shipping.

As mad as it is to see interior parts be broken, these interiors build quality wise aren't that good. Almost every truck/suv at my local U pull has the same cracked dash and trim pieces that my truck has. I didn't even bother getting an exterior door handle from the yard bc I figured that bc I didn't want to use a 20+ y/o worn part when GM still makes the part and chances are it was replaced with some trash Dorman part by a previous owner (as was the case with my truck).

I've paid for every single vehicle I've owned and the repairs for it in parts, labor, or both. I've paid insurance once I turned 21. I've put so much physical, emotional and monetary value into this truck that it makes me want to cry and throw a fit at how someone could let something like this go. These weren't cheap throw away vehicles that GM made for a tax write off either. These were GM's bread and butter truck that made 25% of GM sales in 1997 with the CHEVROLET BRANDED PICKUPS ALONE!!!! These trucks were built with pride and only the passage of time and wear has broken them down.

I get a bit emotionally attached to my possessions, but that's my take on it. Feel free to respond and argue for or against my post. I understand that this is the internet and everyone has their opinion. This one happens to be mine. I've become more tolerant and understanding of others opinions across all subjects so I respect why you do or don't feel the way I do.

EDIT #1: Spelling and also wanted to add that this can also apply to the GMT800 trucks/suvs as well. Not as cool looks wise but the interiors were built better and they came with an awesome powertrain. 99-02 GMT800s are my second favorite truck looks wise after the GMT400s and would be the only other GM truck I would consider buying.

Also, as much as I love Honda and Toyota sedans and crossovers, Honda and Toyota will NEVER touch and achieve the greatness that these truck had and what GM had back in the day. Honda and Toyota have taken over nearly every segment of the North American car market and while I'd gladly take a Honda or Toyota sedan or crossover any day over an American one, Full Size pickups and Full size SUVs are a nut that neither Honda or Toyota will ever crack. Toyota has tried, but there's just something special to American full size trucks/SUVs that they'll never achieve no matter how hard they try.

EDIT #2: Here's my truck in terms of features. A mid-upper tier Silverado trim pickup as far as I can tell. Not fully loaded, but far from a base model.

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Since we're allowed to discuss personal views, does it make anyone else physically angry how horribly abused some of these GMT400 trucks/SUVs are? I'm not talking about bare bones W/Ts that are 2WD, 4.3 V6 regular cab with no thrills. I'm talking about pickups like mine that are just as well equipped if not better equipped than mine. A couple stories talk about people breaking parts to get to other parts, but the GMT400s I see at my local U Pull are just BEAT down. Looks like a flthy hoarders house inside, interior parts are already smashed (don't worry, my dash is cracked already) Front end smashed like they went 30+ MPH into a light pole, and terrible, yee yee boy d*uchebag mods that add nothing to these vehicles other than to show off how "bada**" you are. I'm also not just talking salt rust beat down, but just looks like the owner/s just didn't give two s**** and a f*** about it and just drove these vehicles to the ground.

I LOVE my truck and will own it until the frame snaps in half. These vehicles are comfortable, well designed looks wise and (I will get flak for this) mechanically designed well too. If. you keep it in its stock configuration, 4L60Es and 10 bolt rear axles are fine. My 1st 4L60E died at 238K and the transmission tech at my local Buick/GMC dealer said that that there was no catastrophic failure and the only thing he could guess is that the trans got old and died. My second trans died bc the aftermarket trans cooler failed leaking trans fluid and burning up the second trans. My two 10 bolt rear axles both worked fine and they rusted away before they failed mechanically. I went to a 14 bolt rear axle bc why not while I'm at it and I ended up scoring a <183K rear axle from KS for $575 after shipping.

As mad as it is to see interior parts be broken, these interiors build quality wise aren't that good. Almost every truck/suv at my local U pull has the same cracked dash and trim pieces that my truck has. I didn't even bother getting an exterior door handle from the yard bc I figured that bc I din't ant to use a 20+ y/o worn part when GM still makes the part and chances are it was replaced with some trash Dorman part by a previous owner (as was the case with my truck).

I've paid for every single vehicle I've owned and the repairs for it in parts, labor, or both. I've put so much physical, emotional and monetary value into this truck that it makes me want to cry and throw a fit at how someone could let something like this go. These weren't cheap throw away vehicles that GM made for a tax write off either. These were GM's bread and butter truck that made 25% of GM sales in 1997 with the CHEVROLET BRANDED PICKUPS ALONE!!!! These trucks were built with pride and only the passage of time and wear has broken them down.

I get a bit emotionally attached to my possessions, but that's my take on it. Feel free to respond and argue for or against my post. I understand that this is the internet and everyone has their opinion. This one happens to be mine. I've become more tolerant and understanding of others opinions across all subjects so I respect why you do or don't feel the way I do.
Yes that Escalade had almost a 100K more miles than the Denali at the other yard, but the Denali was tore up from the floor up. And I was scared the cluster was damaged, seeing how trashed and busted up the dash was, till I got it out and looked it over.
Like Mom said,"who says the other people taking parts off, know what they're doing, and how to do it w/o breaking everything".....
Yeah, it's frustrating to see trucks in the yards, that wouldn't be there if they'd been cared for better. I've seen a '92 Blazer that was complete and clean, and another 400 two door that someone had made an el camino out of(not well either I might add!). A few that have been rolled, a Tahoe Limited that was complete except for a bent front bumper(sadly I got nothing from that one because it was picked clean by the time I saw it). Last fall I saw a really nice K2500, 7.4, FF 14 bolt Burb in the local yard. Not wrecked, had an '80 in it, maybe they just didn't need to feed the tow rig anymore? Seems like it coulda found a better home....
On the other hand, I've been in situations where you just have too many cars, even if they run. Sometimes people have to get rid of a vehicle and that's the only choice they think they have.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes that Escalade had almost a 100K more miles than the Denali at the other yard, but the Denali was tore up from the floor up. And I was scared the cluster was damaged, seeing how trashed and busted up the dash was, till I got it out and looked it over.
Like Mom said,"who says the other people taking parts off, know what they're doing, and how to do it w/o breaking everything".....
Yeah, it's frustrating to see trucks in the yards, that wouldn't be there if they'd been cared for better. I've seen a '92 Blazer that was complete and clean, and another 400 two door that someone had made an el camino out of(not well either I might add!). A few that have been rolled, a Tahoe Limited that was complete except for a bent front bumper(sadly I got nothing from that one because it was picked clean by the time I saw it). Last fall I saw a really nice K2500, 7.4, FF 14 bolt Burb in the local yard. Not wrecked, had an '80 in it, maybe they just didn't need to feed the tow rig anymore? Seems like it coulda found a better home....
On the other hand, I've been in situations where you just have too many cars, even if they run. Sometimes people have to get rid of a vehicle and that's the only choice they think they have.

The only saving grace is that at least these vehicles parts are (hopefully) going to a better cause. I know not all OEM parts are great, but used OEM parts are better than that cheap Dorman trash that Auto parts sell. Plus, OEM body parts are mostly discontinued so this is the only way you're getting them and I'd rather have an OEM body part unless they aren't made anymore and all the used ones are just as broken/beat down as mine (grilles are discontinued and used ones are trashed, plan on getting a new one in a few years).

If I ever got to the point where I had too many cars and I had to get rid of one, I'd just donate it to an auction for a tax write off. My truck was a repo, but I ran a CARFAX report and it was very well taken care of throughout most of its life. Some areas could have been better, but at least some people cared along the way.

I remember that you'd mentioned in one of my posts that 10ish years ago, you could still find clean semi low mileage examples of these trucks/suvs for $3K bc of the bell curve of depreciation. I would honestly cry tears of joy if I could time travel back 10-15 years ago and get one for that price. I'm just glad I have the semi-clean example that I have. I won the bid at $1500 and paid about $1300 in shipping from IAA's St. Louis location in Caseyville, IL to up here in Apple Valley, MN.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
does it make anyone else physically angry how horribly abused some of these GMT400 trucks/SUVs are? ... I'm talking about pickups like mine that are just as well equipped if not better equipped than mine... the GMT400s I see at my local U Pull are just BEAT down. Looks like a flthy hoarders house inside, interior parts are already smashed (don't worry, my dash is cracked already) Front end smashed like they went 30+ MPH into a light pole... I'm also not just talking salt rust beat down, but just looks like the owner/s just didn't give two s**** and a f*** about it and just drove these vehicles to the ground.
Whenever vehicles depreciate enough, the crackheads own them, because everybody needs transportation. Not too long ago you could score a GMT400 for a couple hundo. That attracts the kinds of people who just need a vehicle they can burn down for the next few months. I'm pretty sure WCJr was methed up. When I cleaned it out I found plenty of empty swisher sweets packages and a few unused (thank God!) condoms.