Breaking yard etiquette. Discussion debate personal views please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
I will destroy ****.... if it's already junk. Rotted out door full of dings n holes, I'll rip it off to get inside. I've been goin same yard for over 20 yrs n if there's nice usable parts in my way I take my time to take things apart. If it's a vehicle brought in cuz it's useless junk that only has 2 good parts left I don't worry bout what I break but only if there's that one good part there that I lucked out n found. I tend to think it thru first instead of goin full Leeroy Jenkins on it. I know owners make their money off sellin parts n if I go breaking good stuff I'm takin food off their table n most likely won't be treated decent on next visit. If ownr goes with me n takes a crowbar to **** I know that he's not worried bout that particular vehicle. Pick n choose but also know that stuff may be usable to someone else if it's "decent."

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think that's more like a scrap yard.

The biggest full service yard in my area has two sections. One where they keep the newer additions that are still being actively parted out, and one where they move/stack all the old stuff that's relatively picked clean. In the latter section you can see stacks of cars poking up above their crazy tall fences, it looks like something out of an old movie.

Most of the yards around here are full service. Which honestly I'm OK with. Generally a little more expensive, but the service is good in my experience. If you're looking for something specific (like a switch with a specific color bezel for example) they'll send someone up into the yard with you and let you look around for it, then pull it for you. They're generally pretty good about not breaking stuff to get to the part you need, too.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They have self service parts around here. Some ask for a $2 admission fee, but what I like about them is usually when I’m leaving with a bunch of smalls, they just wave me through and I get freebies all the time - except of course the $2.
That's why I always like going to the yards. To be honest the more of a regular you're there the better

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The LKQ ( that used to be Pick Your Part before they got bought out)charges $3 per person admission. The U Pull And Pay used to be $2, but they've gone up to $3 too. ~1100 vehicles in their yard, and usually has a decent selection of 400s. Also, they have a section of the website that has the inventory for each location, with a photo of each vehicle. LKQ used to have that, but not any more. U Pull And Pay has locations in several areas of the US, check the website for details.

I used to leave pick a part with pockets full of the nuts, bolts and small trim bits. Apparently a lot of people did, because for a couple of years, they'd pass a metal detector wand over everyone as they left. They also look in your toolbox and buckets when you enter and leave. U Pull And Pay doesn't really do that(I guess if you looked like you were carrying half the place out, they would) they're a bit more laid back than LKQ.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
This thread has spurred my curiosity now. As a newbie to this whole truck build world, I think I'm going to have to pay a visit to a pull it yard soon. There's a couple of interior trim pieces that I'd like to replace (slightly worn door bezel, seat parts, etc.). I'll keep in mind the proper etiquette when I do plan my first trip. Any other pro tips would be appreciated!