Breaking yard etiquette. Discussion debate personal views please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would definitely throw in WD40 or any kind of penetrating oil type substance.
Since again the yards are going with the environmental recovery think which is a good idea. I've seen yard selling used washer fluid. All the cars in the yard they suck bone dry fluid. Used to be you'll be able to use a little bit of brake fluid or whatever fluids in the lines to help penetrate the rust.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just subscribe to your channel good content you got
Thanks! There's a lot of goofy stuff on YT, and waaaay too many "this hasn't run in 20 years, can I get it running?" videos. I regularly teach younger mechanics, and I'm realizing there's a large knowledge gap that isn't being filled. I'm trying to share the tips I've learned over the last 30 years.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Thanks! There's a lot of goofy stuff on YT, and waaaay too many "this hasn't run in 20 years, can I get it running?" videos. I regularly teach younger mechanics, and I'm realizing there's a large knowledge gap that isn't being filled. I'm trying to share the tips I've learned over the last 30 years.
Amen brother! We don't teach the kids, who will?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I would definitely throw in WD40 or any kind of penetrating oil type substance.
Since again the yards are going with the environmental recovery think which is a good idea. I've seen yard selling used washer fluid. All the cars in the yard they suck bone dry fluid. Used to be you'll be able to use a little bit of brake fluid or whatever fluids in the lines to help penetrate the rust.
Another thing I have found to be handy in wrecking yard trips, is a box(or at least a handful) of the quart or snack size ziplock bags. Very helpful for sorting out fasteners and small parts, especially if you're getting stuff you won't use right now,or getting for someone else. I write on the bag, with a sharpie marker, what parts/assembly these nuts, bolts,etc. go with. Only costs a couple of bucks (store brand is fine!) and can save you a lot of hassle!