Breaking yard etiquette. Discussion debate personal views please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
One thing I can suggest, is know what tools you need for removing the pieces you're looking for, and bring those. The more you bring in, the heavier it gets the longer you're walking around. If you have a metal wagon or a hand truck, that's a good thing to tote your toolbox on. Bungee cords are handy if you're going for big items like grilles, bumpers,etc. Those cloth bucket pockets are nice too( I need to find ours!). Keep ratchets, extensions, pliers, screwdrivers handy instead of digging for them.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One thing I can suggest, is know what tools you need for removing the pieces you're looking for, and bring those. The more you bring in, the heavier it gets the longer you're walking around. If you have a metal wagon or a hand truck, that's a good thing to tote your toolbox on. Bungee cords are handy if you're going for big items like grilles, bumpers,etc. Those cloth bucket pockets are nice too( I need to find ours!). Keep ratchets, extensions, pliers, screwdrivers handy instead of digging for them.
It's always good to ply it out and bring tools. Also sometimes you might see something you want without even realizing it

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
I have an old craftsman plastic boxed "mechanics set" with an extra storage section inside for longer tools (panel poppers, screwdrivers etc.) That I always take with me on yard days. I'm not a craftsman user anymore but I know it somethin breaks I can USUALLY find a store that sells new craftsman tools n get a replacement on way home. Sadly most of them want a receipt to prove it, "you just started selling them this month and I've had that ratchet for ten years!"
"Yes but we need a receipt to know where you bought it from."
WHY?!

Other places usually say "ok go pick out a new one" n give me no trouble but anymore it's not worth owning old craftsman stuff.

Besides that Lil offshoot into the weeds, a decent "everything" toolbox is good to have. My friend that runs the yard doesn't mind if I borrow something of his for a small part but I try not to make it a habit. Using my own tools and getting free range of the yard is a fun day filler. I can walk out n give him $10 for armloads of stupid stuff that I need n other people wouldn't think twice of steppin on or leavin behind.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to shoot a video on my Pull-A-Part toolbox. I have it down to a very handy box of incredibly useful tools.

My best tips:
Never take your expensive tools.
HF's black and green handled reversible screwdrivers work great and save space.
Unless you're going for an axle, ditch the 1/2" drive tools and prybar. HF has a 3/8" breakover bar, and you can get 3/8" drive sockets all the way up to 7/8".
Take a smallish hammer. If you need a bigger hammer, there's probably an axle on the ground somewhere.
Always inventory your toolbox before you go, because that tool you need is still on your work bench. Doubly true if you have children with cars.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need to shoot a video on my Pull-A-Part toolbox. I have it down to a very handy box of incredibly useful tools.

My best tips:
Never take your expensive tools.
HF's black and green handled reversible screwdrivers work great and save space.
Unless you're going for an axle, ditch the 1/2" drive tools and prybar. HF has a 3/8" breakover bar, and you can get 3/8" drive sockets all the way up to 7/8".
Take a smallish hammer. If you need a bigger hammer, there's probably an axle on the ground somewhere.
Always inventory your toolbox before you go, because that tool you need is still on your work bench. Doubly true if you have children with cars.
Agreed
Perfectly preferred use the strongest of the cheapest tools you can get.
My buddy Joe had an issue with getting a bellhousing off of A4L80 or 4L60
You had to borrow my torque bits for it because GM has a special torque bit.
Definitely don't want to lose your snap on stuff at the yard. Or worse yet buy the yard's tools which are uh let's say dollar store quality (some yards sells tools in blister packaging like toys.)

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All the ones around where I live have wheel barrows you can use.
Cordless impact comes in handy
Don't leave your tools unattended, not everyone in there is honest.