Brazing vs jb weld??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

21InA94

Reaction score
Cracked 4l60e braze or jb weld found some nice low temp brazing rods from harbor freight that have a melting point of 700 or I could just jb weld thought experience and opinions

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
JB weld is anything but a bandaid fix for structural repairs...just saying...and it doesn't hold up to high temperature either.

Looks like he's going to be limited to TIG welding? Case replacement probably better approach. He didn't even specify what is broken, so one would logically assume it's the case? Like @kennythewelder said, first figure out why it broke.

Good luck.

Last edited:

21InA94

Reaction score
Motor mounts second trans at the tailshaft was just thinking cheapest way to get running. 2 year only trans and a pain to find. What years 80 would work or what would be involved other than obvious driveshaft

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Motor mounts second trans at the tailshaft was just thinking cheapest way to get running.
I know you're just trying to get your point across quickly, but I can't understand what you're saying. You've installed new motor mounts? This is the second transmission that has cracked at the tailshaft?

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
JB weld is anything but a bandaid fix for structural repairs...just saying...and it doesn't hold up to high temperature either.

Looks like he's going to be limited to TIG welding? Case replacement probably better approach. He didn't even specify what is broken, so one would logically assume it's the case? Like @kennythewelder said, first figure out why it broke.

Good luck.
You must be registered for see images attach

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't care what JB Weld you use, it won't hold up to what your transmission dishes out. If it's just the tail shaft, then, replace that section. If it's the case, then it would be best to replace the case, although at that point, you just as soon rebuild the trans. The main issue with welding the case, is the heat that the welding process generates. This will burn the transmission fluid. So basically, you need to remove the part that needs to be welded, clean it up then weld it. And as mentioned by another member, I would only TIG weld what ever part needs to be welded. Wire feed aluminum, just isn't as strong. Wire feed aluminum, will fail again.