Brakes still spongy after countless brake bleedings, and new master cylinder.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
Ive had it with my truck. The brake light warning came on randomly one day and my brakes became spongy. I tried bleeding the brakes 3-4 times each, no lucky. New master cylinder which I bench bled 2 different times, no difference, still spongy.

I dont see any visible leaks, fluid filled to reccomended. :nono: Im ready to just drive my truck into a wall.

The brakes are absoloutly horrible. Its soft at first and then when I got slam on the brakes its like its a mixture of a soft and hard pedal. It takes me about 100 yards to stop while going about 70 mph. Ive had so many close encounters.

My question is. what could it be, the brake booster? abs module? my brakes no longer lock up. my truck just slowly stops, no matter how hard i slam on the brakes, any suggestions?

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Didn't really have that issue my brakes worked as good as the ty stock brakes can lol I put on SS brake hoses it firmed up the brakes alot

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

WorkinMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had this issue with my 97 Z71 and I replaced the booster the master cylinder and calipers. Only thing I hadn't done was the ABS and that was my best guess as to what it was. When I put my master cylinder in I had to take it to a shop to have the brakes bled because they had to actuate all of the solenoids in the ABS block? I hadn't ever heard of that but it seemed to help so you could try that. It's only something that you have to do when you allow air into the system ahead of the ABS block, like installing a new master cylinder. Maybe this will help, either way good luck figuring it out.

WorkinMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
95 Escahoe could be onto something too. Rubber brake lines can stretch and take some pressure off the system. That's why anyone with a race car/bike goes to stainless, because once they heat up the rubber becomes more plyable where stainless doesn't do that.

ShadowRejects

Reaction score
I heard the same thing about the ABS module. I have no idea where its located on the truck though

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
ABS module is in the front left (drivers) side against the fender.

Looks like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

WorkinMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm telling you unless you have a computer to plug into the OBD-II for the brakes it's probably not going to happen. There are a series of valves in there that have to be actuated to get all of the air out of it. No idea how to do it, just know I had to take it to a shop to have it done.

ShadowRejects

Reaction score
I'm telling you unless you have a computer to plug into the OBD-II for the brakes it's probably not going to happen. There are a series of valves in there that have to be actuated to get all of the air out of it. No idea how to do it, just know I had to take it to a shop to have it done.

nevermind then :(