Brakes pulsating after front rotor/new pad replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thirty years ago the government mandated the removal of asbestos from brake pads because a significant number of technicians were dying from lung cancers. Suddenly, bedding brake pads became important. My brake bedding procedure back when I was a technician was far and above what I do now. I think the brake pad material has improved, but not all pads are created equal. Buy good pads and bed them in.

My procedure is to back out of my driveway, drive to the end of the street and make a prolonged stop to heat the rotor up a bit. Turn left and repeat. Pull out onto the main street and try to hit 60 mph before jamming on the brakes for one good, long stop. Release the brake pedal when I'm down to about 20 mph. Turn back into the neighborhood and cruise slowly, with moderate braking. Pull back into the driveway and park it. Ideally, I would have a longer warmup period and a second hard braking.