Brakes go to the floor :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Schurkey living out in the country and having a long lane way I cycle the abs by slamming on the brakes. I do this a few times a year. I believe this exercise helps keep it good but the one time I needed to cycle the abs and I didnt have the scanner. I downloaded and paid for a couple apps that are supposedly able to perform the task but I just got pissed trying to figure it out. I jumped in the truck and cycled it many times by slamming on the brakes and then went back and rebled everything. I know this is not the ideal procedure but if one can do this safely, like on a farm and not a public road, how do you feel about it?

Al
The newer trucks have three-channel ABS--individual front brakes, both rear brakes together. Each channel has a pair of solenoid valves. Front brakes share an accumulator, rear brakes have an accumulator.

Unless you can activate ALL THREE channels, you're doing a partial job.

Attachments

• 1990s_GM_Light_Truck_Kelsey_Hayes_ABS_Brake_Bleeding_Procedure_Ref_Cards(1).pdf
    130.2 KB · Views: 5

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
alright well that makes sense. so since I wrote that this afternoon my wife has since suggested that I get a scanner capable of performing everything my existing scanner cant do. I have a complete distributor assemble that I wanted to install in the Burb today but choose to just use the cap n rotor so I could avoid the possible cam relearn process. she was wondering why I didn't install the base and so I told her... shes a keeper. :) haha

Raspi454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I put that new master cylinder on, put some fluid in it and now the brakes go straight down nothing there at all. Probably needs a thorough bleedin'?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You have to bleed the MC itself, then all 4 wheels,starting at the passengers rear, then drivers rear, then top off the fluid, then the passengers front, then drivers front. Each spot should be done 3 to 5 times each. All of the air needs to be bleed out.

mr_josh

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just adding to what kennythewelder said, you have to bench bleed the master in order to get it free of air and then bleed the lines. Regardless of if you’re going the “gravel road” or scan tool route for bleeding the ABS, you do that procedure after the initial bleed, then bleed all four again.

FWIW, I hope you did bench bleed that MC before you stuck it on there and attached lines. You will push a substantial amount of air into the lines otherwise and it can make bleeding a real bear. I think most MCs I have seen come with a little instruction sheet for how they recommend you do the bleeding.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most master cylinders are installed with the front tipped "up". It is ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to get them to bleed properly, since the air bubble(s) end up forward of the ports leading to the reservoir, and higher than the tubes leading to the wheel cylinders.

Thus the "bench" bleeding, where the master can be at least level, and preferably tipped "down" in front.

Sometimes, the last little air bubble needs to be removed with the master connected to the tubes in the vehicle, but separated from the firewall or booster so the front can be pushed down enough to get the air bubble to the rear--where with a little short-stroking of the primary piston, it'll burp up into the reservoir.