Brake upgrade question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So im to the point im debating on retireing my 95 k2500. I don't think the engine has another year left in it and it needs other work to fix other various things. Ive found another 95 with 116k on it but is a K1500 and needs brake work done. I have read the post on brake upgrades and it says go with 3/4-1 ton calipers. others in the post say this won't work well unless you change the master as well. There is so much to read I have half way confused my self. The brakes on my 2500 only have about 4000 miles on them. Can I just pulled the calipers, master and booster off the 2500 and put them on the 1500 and have better stopping power then the 1500 set up. My 2500 is a 8 lug. I know the rear drums are different and couldn't use any of that which is fine. If I get the truck im planning on pulling everything I can swap over off the one I have now before it goes to the scrap yard.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
So im to the point im debating on retireing my 95 k2500. I don't think the engine has another year left in it and it needs other work to fix other various things. Ive found another 95 with 116k on it but is a K1500 and needs brake work done. I have read the post on brake upgrades and it says go with 3/4-1 ton calipers. others in the post say this won't work well unless you change the master as well. There is so much to read I have half way confused my self. The brakes on my 2500 only have about 4000 miles on them. Can I just pulled the calipers, master and booster off the 2500 and put them on the 1500 and have better stopping power then the 1500 set up. My 2500 is a 8 lug. I know the rear drums are different and couldn't use any of that which is fine. If I get the truck im planning on pulling everything I can swap over off the one I have now before it goes to the scrap yard.

Get ya a nbs master cylinder and new pads for the half ton. I did it in my 98 and its a world of difference.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
So what your saying is forget the caliper swap and just do the master swap and new pads?

Yep. It gave a lot better pedal feel and was cheap upgrade. I got a good master from junkyard for 20 bucks and an adapter for the one line. Its a sticky on here that explains it and tells u the size adapter ud need.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah i seen that sticky. Ive just never done any type of brake upgrades. Ive replaced pretty much every part on a brake system but with the original type of part. And im also trying to reuse as much as i can to save a few bucks. The master I have has very little mileage on it.

rojas84

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Swap calipers they will work they have a bigger bore which equals more pressure on the pads that and nbs master as mentioned above will make a difference

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the truck I was looking at got sold before i could get back to the dealership that had it. So I will keep everything in mind and keep on the look up for another one.