Brake upgrade help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a look at @Schurkey's comments here about which vehicles / RPOs have the "low drag" or what I've erroneously called "quick take-up" calipers...

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/need-help-with-brakes-plz.56196/post-1212113

and his comments here about the NBS MC...

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/brake-drums-10-inch.56493/post-1216138

(see where he says "The so-called 'NBS' master cylinder is NOT compatible with the low-drag calipers)

I believe the NBS, when used with appropriate other brake hardware, can work very well. Perhaps the quick take-up / low-drag equipment can be made to work well, but I could never achieve it.

Last edited:

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So what if I hydro boosted my stock c1500 brakes? (JB6 IIRC). I’d like to do the bigger calipers at some point as well as swap in a 2wd suburban rear end with higher gears and the bigger drums. Does hydro boost need to be on the tail end of that list?

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what if I hydro boosted my stock c1500 brakes? (JB6 IIRC). I’d like to do the bigger calipers at some point as well as swap in a 2wd suburban rear end with higher gears and the bigger drums. Does hydro boost need to be on the tail end of that list?

IMHO, I would do the hydroboost last, because:

- You're likely going to do the other steps anyway
- They're easier to do, so do them first
- After completing them, you may find you're satisfied w/o the hydroboost, so it's "job done"

Keep in mind AFIAK the hydroboost systems also included a PS oil cooler (adjacent to the AC condenser, on the driver's side in front of the radiator). Whether it's required is another question, but it's part of the system as-designed, to my knowledge.

The steps above were the steps I took. I actually have the hydroboost booster (NIB) and the cooler (junkyard find, now mounted on my Suburban), all I need to do is install the booster and plumb it together w/ the proper PS pump (one w/ dual return fittings) and lines... all available on RockAuto. But my brakes work so well now that I just abandoned the HB idea.

Last edited: