Brake switch getting hot blowing fuses, signals clicking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrvsfriend

Reaction score
I have a weird one, my turn signal relay was clicking without the signals or hazards on. The hazards and blinkers still work, they turn on and off as they should, but the clicking noise from the relay doesn't stop.

I pulled the signal relay, and the relay's outer cover was melted. Replaced the relay, but no change. I ended up pulling the relay and leaving it out awhile since i rarely drive the truck. Today i changed out the cargo lights and noticed the #1 fuse for brake/haz blew. I put a new fuse in, tried the brakes and the fuse blew again. So i unplugged both tail lights and tried it again with a new fuse, the fuse stayed good, (the relay still clicks). Plugged both tail lights back in and the fuse doesn't blow, relay still clicks.

The brake pedal switch is getting hot. Has anyone else on here had an issue like this, and has anyone changed their brake pedal switch? The only other thing i can think is a bad signal switch... I'm not great with electrical issues, I'm hoping for some pointers.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a weird one, my turn signal relay was clicking without the signals or hazards on. The hazards and blinkers still work, they turn on and off as they should, but the clicking noise from the relay doesn't stop.

I pulled the signal relay, and the relay's outer cover was melted. Replaced the relay, but no change. I ended up pulling the relay and leaving it out awhile since i rarely drive the truck. Today i changed out the cargo lights and noticed the #1 fuse for brake/haz blew. I put a new fuse in, tried the brakes and the fuse blew again. So i unplugged both tail lights and tried it again with a new fuse, the fuse stayed good, (the relay still clicks). Plugged both tail lights back in and the fuse doesn't blow, relay still clicks.

The brake pedal switch is getting hot. Has anyone else on here had an issue like this, and has anyone changed their brake pedal switch? The only other thing i can think is a bad signal switch... I'm not great with electrical issues, I'm hoping for some pointers.
The relay melting points to a short circuit. Pull the fuse and attach a multimeter across the fuse slot pins and read what the current is through the circuit, should be well below the fuse capacity. I'm guessing since the fuse isn't blowing right away it's right around the fuse capacity. Pull the brake lights and test for continuity to ground from the power feed wire (resistance from power to ground with no bulb connected should be unreadable high) if it's anything else, there's a short. Check the board for signs of excessive heat, you may find the problem right there

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

mrvsfriend

Reaction score
The relay melting points to a short circuit. Pull the fuse and attach a multimeter across the fuse slot pins and read what the current is through the circuit, should be well below the fuse capacity. I'm guessing since the fuse isn't blowing right away it's right around the fuse capacity. Pull the brake lights and test for continuity to ground from the power feed wire (resistance from power to ground with no bulb connected should be unreadable high) if it's anything else, there's a short. Check the board for signs of excessive heat, you may find the problem right there

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Turns out the new bulbs i put in the cab lights were incorrect, that seems to have fixed the fuse and hot brake pedal switch.

Still stumped on the clicking signal relay. I don't see anywhere that looks heat affected other than the relay i swapped out.