Brake line burst

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my 97 did when the rear blew out and ran dry, it also took out the master cylinder, so whole system needed bleeding, including the ABS unit.
Im deleting my rear only abs, so that wont be a problem for me.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I cant get the master bled with it on the car with hoses going in, I may try a 2 person method with someone pushing on the pedal and then me cracking open the lines on the master. That will probably work tbh.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Well the master cylinder was run dry on the rear part of the resevoir when it all leaked from the line, wouldn't that require a bench bleed?

I guess if you lost all of it. I didn't do any special bench bleed procedure when I replaced my rear line, but I probably didn't lose everything either. Shurkey has more experience on this than I do, so go with his advice.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seeing as the brake line that broke is the one going from the abs valve to the rears, will I even need to bleed the front 2 sides? I didnt lose any fluid in the front part of the resevoir at all, so I'm guessing thered be no air in the front lines?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Its not needed but its not a bad idea if it hasnt been done in a while. Unless your bleeders on the front are ready to snap off, then just leave it be

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1, why did the brake line rupture? Damage, corrosion, etc.?
2, this is a perfect time to flush out all the debris, and old most likely degraded brake fluid in calipers and wheel cylinders.
3, fresh fluid, clean little or moisture contamination. Return boiling point to highest rate. Your seals will love you. Clean fluid will extend life of caliper and wheel cylinders.
Good luck.
And brake is still cheaper than replacing parts and labor.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I went to go bleed the master cylinder with the clear hose and the fitting. What's weird is that there was literally no air in it at all. Looking at the hose after pumping the pedal 30 times and it was just clear fluid.

Was going to vacuum bleed the rears but it doesnt come with a fitting that fits, and I don't have anyone to help me, so I'm going to gravity bleed.

My question is how long should I let it gravity bleed for? And also can I gravity bleed both rears at once?