Brake Light Diagram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
'96 K1500

I posted in another sub-forum but maybe somebody else will see this.

No brake lights or third cab mounted brake light. All other lights work fine. My hazard button on the steering column will not pop up and turn on hazards. My buzzer for key in ignition and headlights on doesn't work either.

Replaced:
--Pedal mounted brake light switch
--Relay under the hood
--new bulbs
--swapped fuses in the cab and under the hood

I used to have diagrams bookmarked but the website is gone....

Anybody have a brake light diagram with the wire colors?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Casey

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is for a 1998, maybe it will help. You can get them for your 1996 from alldatadiy.com with a subscription. It's around $30/year.

At a glance, it looks like the brake lamps are fed through the hazard switch, so that may be your issue.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the diagram east! I replaced the turn/multifuntion switch (the hazard button wasn't working which led me to believe that was a likely suspect), but no luck--I have a hard short between the interior fuse and the beginning of the tail lights harness. ALL other lights work including rear turn signals. When I install a new fuse the buzzer works, hazards now work, but when I touch the brake pedal it immediately blows the fuse.

Brake pedal switch has been replaced.

Casey

Dgonz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the diagram east! I replaced the turn/multifuntion switch (the hazard button wasn't working which led me to believe that was a likely suspect), but no luck--I have a hard short between the interior fuse and the beginning of the tail lights harness. ALL other lights work including rear turn signals. When I install a new fuse the buzzer works, hazards now work, but when I touch the brake pedal it immediately blows the fuse.

Brake pedal switch has been replaced.

Casey
I have encountered the same issue with my 1994 c1500. Any updates?

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My ground wire on the tail light wiring harness is energized when the brake pedal in depressed, thus blowing the fuse. With ground wire disconnected, brake lights work. Possibly the connector at the firewall (which has got to be the most freaking difficult connector to access of all time), more likely a short under the dash. I'm really hoping it's the connector, don't want to dive into the dash.............

Casey