Brake hose coming loose at caliper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greenz97

Reaction score
My brake hose has come loose now twice where it screws into the caliper. I will notice the brake feels spongy i go down there and there is fluid on the tire. This has now come loose twice and have tightened it beyond belief and it still came loose (took about a month). Should i just put loctite on the bolt and then re bleed?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd inspect the line, or just replace it and also replace the copper washer. I'd bet that washer is too far gone to reseal.

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Id replace the bolt and the washers at the very least. I wouldn't apply loctite, or anything else to it. You don't know how the ingredients in whatever you apply are going to react with the seals, or the brake fluid if they come into contact.
Copper washers are cheap. Replace them.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Replace all components with fresh stuff, torque to spec. I think my third gen wanted like 35ft lbs which seemed excessive but it took it and doesn't leak.

TreeGeared

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thread the banjo bolt into the caliper without the hose or washers. Do not tighten. See how much it can wiggle from side to side. Should not be much. The threads in the caliper may be damaged from overtightening and this is a quick and dirty way to check.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Should there be one or two washers? I think I have one on each side of the hose end, but I don't recall for sure. It's been too long since I've worked on truck brakes.... the Volvo's don't use them, which is what I've worked on most recently. They thread directly into the caliper, which is super weird to me.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are there not two cast 'lugs' on the caliper that the pipe part of the banjo sits within to prevent it turning around the bolt's axis? Are they present and the banjo located between them as intended?

greenz97

Reaction score
Are there not two cast 'lugs' on the caliper that the pipe part of the banjo sits within to prevent it turning around the bolt's axis? Are they present and the banjo located between them as intended?
yes