Brake Controller Acting Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a ‘99 k3500. I had a brake controller installed a couple months ago. From day one pretty much it threw an OL code, without a trailer. It finally started doing it more and more until it finally started doing it with my trailer hooked up, which causes the brakes on the trailer to cut out. I went to the shop a few times trying to get them to check it out, of course it wouldn’t do it when it was at the shop. I finally got them to replace everything. I picked it up today and it threw the OL code again. So it seems safe to say it’s something in my truck? Any ideas on what’s going on?

Thanks

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the shop supply the controller, or did you hand it to them and ask them to install it?

If THEY supplied the controller, it's on them to make it work.

If YOU supplied the controller, they'll blame the controller instead of their workmanship...unless you prove otherwise.

CKVortec

Indian name is "Walks on Knuckles"
Reaction score
contact the manufacturer of the trailer brake controller

Chewy11B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the OL typically means an issue in the blue wire. How new or old is the 7 way on back of truck? Perform an omh reading on blue wire after disconnecting both ends. Sounds like either blue wire pinched, rubbed, or an issue with 7 way plug on back of truck.

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Controller and 7 way are new. They used the orange and blue wires that were run down the frame from factory. All other wiring needed was run by the shop. They already replaced their work once and no difference. Again, it’s only intermittent and never does it when I’m at the shop of course. Maybe I need to rerun the ok’d factory wiring?

Chewy11B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the OL is normal when bot connected to a trailer. Have a friend wiggle the 7 way when hooked to trailer. See if OL can be duplicated. Also make sure all wiring in trailer is clean and not corroded. Eliminate any scotch locks and make sure soldered or atleast heat shrink connectors.

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It actually rarely does it with the trailer hooked up. It does it all the time with no trailer.