Brake bleeding issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the point I'm trying to get across. At minimum, the original poster needs to replace those drums, adjust the brakes to suit the new drums, and hope the pedal height and firmness stays "good".

Frankly, I don't think the 254mm (~10 inch) rear drums are worth the effort, especially on a K1500. When it was me, I scrapped the whole axle in favor of a 6-lug K2500 axle of the same gear ratio: Not only is the 9.5" ring gear axle enormously stronger than the crappy 8.5" ring gear axle, but the 11.x inch Duo-Servo drums work three times as well because they STAY in adjustment, unlike the horrible 254mm Leading/Trailing drums.

rtaylor93

Reaction score
So it's been a week and over 1,000 miles. Still no issues. I didn't "machine the drum" with a grinder. I removed the lip and didn't touch the surface that comes in contact with the pads. The lip wasn't very thick, I was just tired of messing with it so I eliminated that possible issue. As Jeff said, good luck finding a place that will machine drums for less than the price of buying new ones.

There's no vibrations, drag, or noises in the rear. The pedal feels perfect, I'll even let my wife drive it now. So I'm keeping my drums. If it ain't broke.....don't fix it :p