Braded steel brake lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

retorq

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few years ago when I did the JB8 upgrade I went with a couple AN adapters at the caliper with a single washer and used some lines from Speedway motors. There was also an adapter at the hard line, overall it was very cheap, looks great, performs like new and is a bit easier to service without that banjo bolt and double washer setup.

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stainless has a cool factor and having an outer cover will increase the life. For my money, I use factory Delco hoses, but attach them to NiCop lines. I just inspect their condition while doing service. If they last 20 years, then I'll just replace them again.
Never seen a metal line rusts out from the inside in 30+ year of salty roads. Seems strange to absorb that much moisture inside with a good atmosphere seal under the masters cap. I will admit that I haven't seen everything...not even one cat video.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My Russell braded lines just came in the mail today, there is a clear coating over the braded stainless steel.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Things move at the speed of molasses around my place on projects. Too much other stuff going on, my automotive projects always take a back burner.

Anyhow, I went to install the russell lines this evening along with a replacement master cylinder, the main reason for doing all this. Brakes at the wheels all recently redone, i figure this is whats left, and i can bleed it and forget it for awhile.

The grooves for the E clips that clip the lines into the bracket at the frame ends are too wide. This allows that end to move around in the bracket. The groove is actually big enough for 2 E clips to fit in there, so i am going to go buy 2 more of these to secure the lines at the frame end a bit better so its not so loose in the bracket. Also there is nothing to hold the lines close to the upper A arms. I test fitted my tires and turned them full lock each direction and the lines rub the sidewalls slightly. Now granted your not going to be driving full turn all the time, but when you have to make a tight turn in a parking lot the lines will rub the tire. Eventually they will rub through.

I cut the old rubber lines off the OEM A arm support brackets. I have a few ideas one involves using aircraft "Adel" clamps with silicone rubber cushions on them, and cutting those brackets and modding them to accept the new clamps.

I dont suspect i will have this type of problem with the rear line. That part of the install is pretty straight forward.

Now for some wierd crap. When i pulled the hoses off the calipers, and cleaned up the banjo bolts. I went to looking for the copper washers to make sure i had all 4 of em. Made sure they werent stuck to the calipers or the bolts. One bolt i had to remove the washer, there were washers stuck to both brake lines on the sides that goes against the calipers. Only found 3 copper washers. I double checked to make sure i didnt leave one behind when i put the new lines on, yep they are all removed from the calipers and bolts. I am thinking this was put together at the factory this way. I bought the truck brand new in 1994. These caliper banjo bolts have never been off until now. Is it even possible for one of the washers under the banjo bolt head side to be missing and the system not leak?? Because this thing never leaked in the 24 years i owned it, and i only got 3 copper crush washers when i took it apart.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The grooves for the E clips that clip the lines into the bracket at the frame ends are too wide. This allows that end to move around in the bracket. The groove is actually big enough for 2 E clips to fit in there, so i am going to go buy 2 more of these to secure the lines at the frame end a bit better so its not so loose in the bracket.

I wonder if you have a different setup than I do. I have spring clips that remove any slop on the other side of the bracket from the e-clip that is attached to the hose fitting.

Only found 3 copper washers. I double checked to make sure i didnt leave one behind when i put the new lines on, yep they are all removed from the calipers and bolts.

Is it stuck to the fitting on the end of a hose? Didn't you get new washers?

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got 4 new washers and used them, but could only account for 3 old ones when i took it apart. Checked the banjo bolts, old lines, ports on the calipers. Even checked my drain pans thinking maybe one fell in there. At this point i think it was assembled new from the factory with one washer missing.

Mine had spring clips holding the original hoses on. I was under the assumption that these werent needed, and the E clips were the replacements. So am i supposed to use the spring clips over along with rhe E clips ?

Last edited:

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, so i decided to mod the hose brackets that held the old ones to the upper A arms. I cut and flattened them out on an anvil, cleaned em up, drilled them for some Adel clamps, sandblasted and primered them. Will prob hit em with a little rustoleum prior to install. Adel clamps i am using are MS21919WCH5. Stainless steel with silicone rubber cushion. Should be just fine.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as the hose is long enough for full-lock turns "out" and does not get bent too sharply from full-lock turns "in", at any suspension height you'll be fine.

The Teflon/PTFE-liner hose does not tolerate being bent too tightly--the inner liner will kink.

When it was me, on other vehicles, I just wrapped the hose in a length of split rubber (fuel) hose, with a half-dozen tyraps to keep the rubber hose in place. Ugly as hell, but a fine abrasion-preventing layer. All my vehicles are getting converted to the PTFE/Steel braid brake hoses, as the rubber hoses fail. I'm not replacing serviceable hoses with new.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Primered, and a braded line test fit with the clamps and some clecos. This looks like its a go!!

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As long as the hose is long enough for full-lock turns "out" and does not get bent too sharply from full-lock turns "in", at any suspension height you'll be fine.

The Teflon/PTFE-liner hose does not tolerate being bent too tightly--the inner liner will kink.

When it was me, on other vehicles, I just wrapped the hose in a length of split rubber (fuel) hose, with a half-dozen tyraps to keep the rubber hose in place. Ugly as hell, but a fine abrasion-preventing layer. All my vehicles are getting converted to the PTFE/Steel braid brake hoses, as the rubber hoses fail. I'm not replacing serviceable hoses with new.
I figured my factory rubber ones were 24 years old. No way to tell how badly they are deteriorated or not. Better off to replace them since i was replacing the master cylinder and had to bleed them. I will be checking these to make sure the bends wont be too tight with them clamped. I know about teflon tubing being susceptible to kinking. I dont drive this vehicle a whole lot anymore. It used to be my daily driver from 1994 on up to about 10 years ago.

Last edited: