Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the base circle on the xr270 cam is close enough to reuse all the upper parts. the stock springs will limit the rpms on top.

Last edited:

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the base circle on the xr270 cam is close enough to reuse all the upper parts. the stock springs will limit the rpms on top.
How do you like the idle and performance of it? I'm thinking I should be able to get away with just the cam, timing chain, and converting to adjustable rockers but at this point I wouldn't be scared to throw springs at it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I actually talked to the guy, he's running stock springs and rockers, he didn't do any valve-train mods to run that cam. I think my comment is either #1 or #2 under that video,

I'm mulling GMPP lifters, I'll probably check all of mine over though, the price on the GM ones kind of make my stomach hurt

Again; cheap and cam swap don't go in the same sentence. Like ever.

No reason to replace your lifters if they're not junk. Mine got the wheels pitted when it ate the cam.

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How do you like the idle and performance of it? I'm thinking I should be able to get away with just the cam, timing chain, and converting to adjustable rockers but at this point I wouldn't be scared to throw springs at it.
Idles great, can barely tell it’s in there at idle. Performance, it has a whole different attitude, I can hit the throttle in 4th gear and push passengers back into the seat. The new injectors, headers, and BB tune, put the whole package together.

like @Supercharged111 said, you could reuse your lifters if they are still good. there are some instructions in the 454 thread on cleaning them if inclined.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No reason to replace your lifters if they're not junk. Mine got the wheels pitted when it ate the cam.
I'm just nervous because I can hear a faint ticking when cold, I hope it's just a slight exhaust leak, but I always think back to the Black Fox when it ate the cam.
Idles great, can barely tell it’s in there at idle. Performance, it has a whole different attitude, I can hit the throttle in 4th gear and push passengers back into the seat. The new injectors, headers, and BB tune, put the whole package together.

like @Supercharged111 said, you could reuse your lifters if they are still good. there are some instructions in the 454 thread on cleaning them if inclined.
So it's got a faint chop to it? Part of me wants to have a little bit of thump. Not like "Hot for Teacher" chop but noticeable over stock.
I'm planning to go the same route, I've got JBA shorties, and LS1 28# injectors to swap in, I've been playing a little with my 0411 and HPTuners but until I get my AFR gauge in I'm not doing anything crazy.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm just nervous because I can hear a faint ticking when cold, I hope it's just a slight exhaust leak, but I always think back to the Black Fox when it ate the cam.

So it's got a faint chop to it? Part of me wants to have a little bit of thump. Not like "Hot for Teacher" chop but noticeable over stock.
I'm planning to go the same route, I've got JBA shorties, and LS1 28# injectors to swap in, I've been playing a little with my 0411 and HPTuners but until I get my AFR gauge in I'm not doing anything crazy.
Some day... I will have a '70 Chevelle with a "Hot for Teacher" cam in it.

Nope, never gonna happen. But I can dream that it will.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some day... I will have a '70 Chevelle with a "Hot for Teacher" cam in it.

Nope, never gonna happen. But I can dream that it will.
I want a K5 Blazer with a lumpy cam; honestly don't even care about power I just want it to sound like a boat motor.
I'm too stubborn to not get what I want, so I'm hoping to start looking for a K5 to be a toy/trail rig/daily sometime in the fall once I've got some money saved up. Either that or a 67-72 C10, something that'll be a toy/nice weather driver;