Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Time for an update I reckon.
Not much to report on, mainly been dd'ing it and still trying to sort out my issues. Got an appointment at my mechanic to drop the pan on the transmission and replace the harness and a solenoid or two. Can't do anything with that until I get the crew cab on the road though, so for now I'm just taking it easy driving it around.

I had a wild idea pop through my head, looking at lift pumps, fuel/water separators, and all kinds of filter housings for my 6.5 got me thinking, would it be possible to install a spin on fuel filter housing on a gasser? I know the filters now are stupid easy to replace, but I like the idea of having a very fine micron rated filter, I did some digging and found this on another forum, it's a guy who installed an external fuel pump with a spin on filter. Would it be worth the effort to do such a thing? I'm already looking at Amsoil bypass filter set ups, as well as an external trans filter set up. Why not explore all options for maximum and effective filtration?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221222-234407.png
    Screenshot_20221222-234407.png
    815.3 KB · Views: 15

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time for an update I reckon.
Not much to report on, mainly been dd'ing it and still trying to sort out my issues. Got an appointment at my mechanic to drop the pan on the transmission and replace the harness and a solenoid or two. Can't do anything with that until I get the crew cab on the road though, so for now I'm just taking it easy driving it around.

I had a wild idea pop through my head, looking at lift pumps, fuel/water separators, and all kinds of filter housings for my 6.5 got me thinking, would it be possible to install a spin on fuel filter housing on a gasser? I know the filters now are stupid easy to replace, but I like the idea of having a very fine micron rated filter, I did some digging and found this on another forum, it's a guy who installed an external fuel pump with a spin on filter. Would it be worth the effort to do such a thing? I'm already looking at Amsoil bypass filter set ups, as well as an external trans filter set up. Why not explore all options for maximum and effective filtration?
I'd say there is a good chance of a stone going through that, unless of course you made a steel guard to at least wrap around the front of it.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@Supercharged111 and @Christian Steffen , damn you and your sensible thinking.
Thanks to @Spareparts and a few other people's threads on 454 builds it got me thinking, as much as I want to build up a brand new stump pulling mill for this truck, this motor is still fairly healthy.
I think.
I'm going to do a compression test and send an oil sample out to verify the health of the motor, but I'm toying around with a cheap cam swap.

I know, cheap and cam swap is less of a phrase and more of a "pick one, leave the other" conundrum. I've somewhat got the basics picked out and squirreled away, a new timing set, a cam and lifters, rocker arms, maybe springs, 28# injectors, so on and so forth; I'd appreciate some insight on cam choices, maybe even some snide statements or a rude remark.

I'm hoping to wake the truck up a bit whilst running doing it in a somewhat (AGAIN, A LAUGHABLE STATEMENT WHEN TALKING ABOUT THIS STUFF) cost effective and relatively easy way.

I'm going to get the truck tuned good enough for now, I've got an appointment to get the trans hot flushed and more than likely I'll throw a shift kit in since I'm pretty sure the truck needs some new shift solenoids, probably going to roll in a set of 4.10s as well, and just try to cover all my bases with making this a decent towpig.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Don't pay for a flush, just do a filter swap, disconnect the return line and run it into a bucket, then pump new fluid through with the engine idling until it comes out clean.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't pay for a flush, just do a filter swap, disconnect the return line and run it into a bucket, then pump new fluid through with the engine idling until it comes out clean.
My buddy just recommended the same thing, the fluid in my trans is dark but doesn't smell burnt. But I fear the dark color tells me everything I need to know.
What shift kit do you have in your K1500? Isn't it a modified TransGo kit?