Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I notice you disconnected the MAF and it ran the same - when you disconnect the MAF, the PCM falls back to values in the Volumetric Efficiency table to adjust fueling - this is actually how you want to tune for base fueling, before you even get the MAF set up (because the MAF values will end up being based on the VE once properly set up), but generally you just turn the MAF off in the tune rather than unplugging it... ANYWAY (I have a tendency to go off on tangents), since it ran the same MAF off as MAF on, I'm kind of thinking the MAF isn't your only problem... You probably do need to tune VE with the MAF off for a bit too lol. If you were nearby, I'd put you on my HPTuners and we'd probably be able to hammer this out in a couple hours.

Yeah, at first I thought the stalling and idle was an EGR issue, which I did indeed forget to add a wire to the EGR valve (disabled in the tune, but per Lextech's instructions the wire HAS to be added), did that but the truck ran the same.
I hope the tuning is going to be worth it once I get all this sorted out.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
It is well worth it :) I bought the HPT for mine. The base tune for the Express 350 had my truck running .... not horrible, but under acceleration it would kind of bog a bit.. Started tuning on it and now it runs smoother, makes good power under all conditions, AND gets better mileage. Since then I've tuned two other trucks successfully... The tuner has well paid for itself
You must be registered for see images attach

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I was hoping to try and get the wires looked over again but we've got thunderstorms lined up all evening.

Maybe tomorrow, I'm just sick and tired of my truck sitting,

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's sad. Checked through and everything is correct, I'm confused on one wire regarding the EVAP system though,
You must be registered for see images attach

It's hard to tell, but the truck is absolutely disgusting from pollen, and stupid me left the windows cracked just enough now I'll need to wipe down the interior because everything has a green tint to it now.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That'll learn ya. Did you notice the extra unused wire that is the 2nd knock sensor?

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That'll learn ya. Did you notice the extra unused wire that is the 2nd knock sensor?

Is it a black wire? I've got like 2 unused wires, the black one and a pink one, everything else matches up exactly.

And I've needed to deep clean the interior for a while now,

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well it's finally back up and running! Thanks to @Mangonesailor for coming down and helping me check things over and doing a little computer work for me, and @Christian Steffen for providing a tune that got used to get my truck running right.
Turns out it was a ENG-1 fuse, which I don't understand how I missed it, but I'll certainly be keeping my eye on everything electrical for the next few days.

Oh and @Mangonesailor, figured out what was wrong with my mirror, the passenger side ground splice must've gotten pushed around when we were working, did a little adjustment and it's all back to normal.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well it's finally back up and running! Thanks to @Mangonesailor for coming down and helping me check things over and doing a little computer work for me, and @Christian Steffen for providing a tune that got used to get my truck running right.
Turns out it was a ENG-1 fuse, which I don't understand how I missed it, but I'll certainly be keeping my eye on everything electrical for the next few days.

Oh and @Mangonesailor, figured out what was wrong with my mirror, the passenger side ground splice must've gotten pushed around when we were working, did a little adjustment and it's all back to normal.
That is awesome that members could help you out like that!

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Boomshakalaka!

Fuses will bite ya some times. Glad it all worked out and got a good baseline tune put together. Let me know if there any changes that you don't care for and I can set up another tune for whenever we meet up again. We can always tune the VE table and MAF so it'll be ready for power enrichment tuning whenever you get a wideband set up. That way at least if you ever have a component fail or something and it defaults to speed-density mode it won't run like crap while getting you home.

Let me know if your mechanic is able to do a CASE relearn on your pickup. He'll need to set up his scanner for an '02 Chevy express van with an 8.1 and it should walk him through the steps and work right the first time. At least that's what my guy had to do with a matco scanner whenever I got mine set a long long time ago.