Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I always include failure in the plans somewhere.

Cause even if the plan falls apart, it still accomplished something.
-------------

The slight misfire I've been dealing with the past couple of months is getting a little worse; I checked the cap, spark plugs, and plug wires,, everything still looks good; so now I'm concerned it is indeed the distributor shaft. Or is there something else I'm missing?
In the event it is the entire shaft, can it be swapped out without removing the intake? I've already had the intake off this motor like 2 times now and I'd like to avoid #3 if possible;

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The slight misfire I've been dealing with the past couple of months is getting a little worse; I checked the cap, spark plugs, and plug wires,, everything still looks good; so now I'm concerned it is indeed the distributor shaft. Or is there something else I'm missing?
In the event it is the entire shaft, can it be swapped out without removing the intake? I've already had the intake off this motor like 2 times now and I'd like to avoid #3 if possible;
Is it actually bucking and misfiring or is it showing up as a code/seeing it with a scan tool?

Yes, you can pull and swap the dizzy without pulling even the upper intake. That's how I did mine. Your dizzy gear is probably knife-edging like mine was getting. Just have to take the coil and ignition out of the way like pulling the cap, pull the 14mm head bolt out and retainer out and you can pop it out.

I'll save you the homework. The dizzy I got for mine was this one from summit: SUM-850099
Do yourself a favor and spray the innards or coat the inside somehow with some sort of oily spray to seal up the aluminum. It'll oxidize like most anything aluminum in the weather and will build up inside. Looks nasty, but not a huge issue if it does that. Last tidbit is the hold down tab it comes with doesn't really fit well with the factory hole in the block. I just reused my old tab and bent it to fit the new dizzy.

You may also find the gear may not mesh exactly the same as the old one and will cause the rotor to not be in the same spot. Theoretically you can punch out the roll pin, spin the gear 180, and put it back on and it should be fine. Found out the hard way... used the scanner to deal with it.
Dropped right in. You'll probably get a P1345 code for the dizzy being out of position. You can move the dizzy back manually if you want to try. Someone can also do it with a scanner and I can also do it with mine.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Is it actually bucking and misfiring or is it showing up as a code/seeing it with a scan tool?

Yes, you can pull and swap the dizzy without pulling even the upper intake. That's how I did mine. Your dizzy gear is probably knife-edging like mine was getting. Just have to take the coil and ignition out of the way like pulling the cap, pull the 14mm head bolt out and retainer out and you can pop it out.

I'll save you the homework. The dizzy I got for mine was this one from summit: SUM-850099
Do yourself a favor and spray the innards or coat the inside somehow with some sort of oily spray to seal up the aluminum. It'll oxidize like most anything aluminum in the weather and will build up inside. Looks nasty, but not a huge issue if it does that. Last tidbit is the hold down tab it comes with doesn't really fit well with the factory hole in the block. I just reused my old tab and bent it to fit the new dizzy.

You may also find the gear may not mesh exactly the same as the old one and will cause the rotor to not be in the same spot. Theoretically you can punch out the roll pin, spin the gear 180, and put it back on and it should be fine. Found out the hard way... used the scanner to deal with it.
Dropped right in. You'll probably get a P1345 code for the dizzy being out of position. You can move the dizzy back manually if you want to try. Someone can also do it with a scanner and I can also do it with mine.

Did your cap have evidence of odd arcing? Could you wobble the rotor back and forth to show upper bushing wear?

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did your cap have evidence of odd arcing? Could you wobble the rotor back and forth to show upper bushing wear?
I had a little bit of wear, sure. But what I had was a P0300 multiple misfire code.

At idle I was getting misfires on all cylinders. If you plotted out the misfires and compared them to the firing order they were the worst on 180* of the cap. Peaking on two in particular... and only at idle/off idle. If the engine was rolling at about 1300rpm plus it stopped. I only discovered this after putting my 0411 in.

I pulled the dizzy and the drive gear was REALLY worn on one side.

You must be registered for see images attach

I spun the engine over twice with a borescope in the hole and the cam still looked great.

So I put a new dizzy in.

I have a whole thread on the "experience" trying to figure it out.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Did the truck ever struggle for a few seconds after a restart? Would it sometimes idle well?

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

It's just a little buck every couple of resolutions, there's nothing showing up on my scanner and no CEL lights on, but it's definitely a misfire so I'm not sure what the deal is. With almost 165K on it and 22 years I imagine it's probably about time to replace it either way, see what I posted below in response to Supercharged's comment;
And is that Summit dizzy just a Davis United Ignitions that just been rebranded?

Did the truck ever struggle for a few seconds after a restart? Would it sometimes idle well?

My truck had this issue today, I had just got home and had to move it so I fired it back up and it spit and sputtered, turned over and idled roughly like I took off a plug wire but it smoothed out;

So here's a recent picture to keep this thread from turning in a novel; it's dirty, greasy, muddy underneath, and the inside needs cleaned up something terribly; but with the constant threat of rain and cold temps I just can't find the motivation to give it the deep clean it needs.

It's getting close to oil change time, so once I get my tax return in it'll get some loving with some new parts, some fresh fluids and a good cleaning.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pictures are supoosed to document progress. :p

I'll start making progress soon, at least until it gets cold again and all my motivation leaves.

I still can't believe how much I've changed from when I first got it and it really doesn't even look all that different!

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm so sick of the rain.
I was hoping to get the passenger fender clear coat sanded down and a fresh coat applied but the weather had different plans. So I just stayed inside all day and watched my brother mess around with his new engine.

I ordered a new set of mirrors for it tonight, and I plan on making it to the junkyard sometime this week to scrounge for a few things, I also picked up a set of Hazard Fraught LED pods and I'm trying to figure out a way to shoe-horn them in behind the grill. But with the pusher fan and trans cooler it's hard to find space.