Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think that one drops right in.

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing from a little googling.

So maybe the 454HO cam, 454HO springs, Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, Comp adjustable valvetrain, Comp Pushrods, and then all I need to figure out is the lifters; any other suggestions? 0411 and full exhaust are on the list already, as well as a shift kit and other piddly ****.

Maybe I'll start looking into this a little heavier once I get the rest of the front end done, disc brakes in the rear, and the interior revamp.

And also worrying about a house, and going back to school for mechanics and welding.
Someone wanna help me rob a bank?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have 5 years and change until I get paid to breathe, so gonna have to pass on that one. I will say that I have some hefty valve springs with my stock lifters and they seem OK. I'm certain the HO springs are lighter than what I have so don't see a need for you to get new lifters. Roller lifters are reusable, not like flat tappet stuff. When I say drop in, I mean I believe that cam is cut so that the stock pushrods and rockers can be retained. If I'm right, go that way to save a buck you can always upgrade down the road and need only crack a valve cover open to do so.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have 5 years and change until I get paid to breathe, so gonna have to pass on that one. I will say that I have some hefty valve springs with my stock lifters and they seem OK. I'm certain the HO springs are lighter than what I have so don't see a need for you to get new lifters. Roller lifters are reusable, not like flat tappet stuff. When I say drop in, I mean I believe that cam is cut so that the stock pushrods and rockers can be retained. If I'm right, go that way to save a buck you can always upgrade down the road and need only crack a valve cover open to do so.

I was thinking replace the lifters while it's apart because I hear a slight tick that's constant and I'm sure it's not an exhaust leak, and I'm wondering if I'm in the same boat Dave was in with the Black Fox and I've possibly got one starting to wear on me.
The pushrods and rockers would be just a "while I'm in there" upgrade,

What can I expect for idle quality with the HO cam? All I've found sound clip wise is muscle cars with pretty choppy idle, and while that's bad ass, I'd prefer to have the idle dialed down to a mild lump if possible.

I'm still no expert on these engines when it comes to some stuff, especially camshafts and other internal parts, so there's still a mountain of 454 factoids and specifications I'm iffy with.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Idle quality should not be lopey at all with that cam. Meaty, but not struggling like that vid you posted. If you recall I bought my truck with a bad cam so sooner is better than later to budget for this. It's common with these trucks.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Idle quality should not be lopey at all with that cam. Meaty, but not struggling like that vid you posted. If you recall I bought my truck with a bad cam so sooner is better than later to budget for this. It's common with these trucks.

That's one thing I'm scared of, this "simple" cam swap turns into me pulling engine and tearing it down completely because of wear on the internals; all it's done for it's life before I got is it pulled 5th wheel campers and car trailers.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn I don't even have any recent pictures of this pig; so here's one from when it was nice and warm out and this thing could actually be clean for more than 3 days.

That clearcoat is moving up on the list pretty quickly too,
You must be registered for see images attach

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You don't want to rob a bank. You want to rob adult shops. Limited employees, close to freeways, mostly cash because people don't want that on credit/debit receipts...

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You don't want to rob a bank. You want to rob adult shops. Limited employees, close to freeways, mostly cash because people don't want that on credit/debit receipts...

That scares me because it makes sense.

Skylark is there something you need to tell us? Is the car wash just a front for something?