Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could throw headers on too. That is, of course, assuming you wear your ovaries on the outside.

Headers are happening regardless; just torn between Hedman long tubes or Gibson shorties; either way it's going to result in new exhaust all the way back.

What's your thoughts on the cam swap? I figure $650 or so for the cam and rollers, Comp hardware, and roller rockers, then a weekend at a friend's house tearing the front end apart and swapping it all out,

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's a job, no doubt. I ended up dropping the diff to drop the oil pan. Diff is pretty easy to drop, nothing more than a mental hurdle. That, intake, valve covers, valvetrain, and you're pretty much there. If this is your first cam swap though bank on more than a weekend unless your friend can pull you along more quickly.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a job, no doubt. I ended up dropping the diff to drop the oil pan. Diff is pretty easy to drop, nothing more than a mental hurdle. That, intake, valve covers, valvetrain, and you're pretty much there. If this is your first cam swap though bank on more than a weekend unless your friend can pull you along more quickly.

Well I could bring my father along , he's built tons of race engines and swapped cams countless times, it's all hypothetical right now of course. I've got a mountain of other stuff I need to get done before I think about something like this.

In your tuning experience do you think I could get the idle tuned to be less violent?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I know this truck is probably idling really low, but I would prefer a little less lope than that if I did swap.

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if the engine lops with this cam but it may help you decide if it is worth the effort. The drop in torque with the carb is probably more to do with the shorter intake runners than the carb vs efi.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That sounds awfully aggressive for a 224/234 cam, that truck is probably untuned idling too low/lean. It is a bit more cam than I'd put into something that will tow though.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if the engine lops with this cam but it may help you decide if it is worth the effort. The drop in torque with the carb is probably more to do with the shorter intake runners than the carb vs efi.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

I really wouldn't want to throw a high dollar Comp kit in without rebuilding the engine first, but that's just me; I was thinking the ZZ502 because a lot of muscle car guys who have swapped to Gen 6 454s claim it's a "drop in" with a couple of simple mods like valve springs and whatnot,

That sounds awfully aggressive for a 224/234 cam, that truck is probably untuned idling too low/lean. It is a bit more cam than I'd put into something that will tow though.

Yeah, I was just spit balling ideas around, I also thought about a Mercruiser cam but I'm not 100% on that either