Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah cab configuration, box length, lifted/lowered, tire size, etc none of that really matters to a chic. All they see is a red truck.

She said tonight she doesn't care how many trucks I have as long as it doesn't look like a hillbilly household; trucks and parts scattered everywhere and grass growing up high.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Well I finally drove my dad's Duramax for the first time since he got it.

Holy ****.

A couple things, the fuel cutoff is brutal in it, so that took some getting used to; and there's a caliper/pad issue on the left side rear of the truck so under moderate braking it shook the truck until it came to a full stop.
But other than that, it's a ****** animal. It almost makes me want to shoot bigger for my 454 when I rebuild it, but for the meantime I hope the mods I've got planned will get my truck to even a fraction of the grunt that LB7 has.

Actually used it for truck stuff over the weekend, hauled pallets to a friend's burn pile, my and my brother almost got stuck in the field in 2Hi, so I popped it in 4Hi and eased on out, whereas he had to lock his hubs and crawl out.
I noticed a clunk coming from the front differential after I engaged the transfer case, but I think it was just driveline slack. I really need to look into those Posi-Lock kits, the thermal actuator is getting to be a pain in the ass any time I try to use 4WD.
You must be registered for see images attach
Well I finally drove my dad's Duramax for the first time since he got it.

Holy ****.

A couple things, the fuel cutoff is brutal in it, so that took some getting used to; and there's a caliper/pad issue on the left side rear of the truck so under moderate braking it shook the truck until it came to a full stop.
But other than that, it's a ****** animal. It almost makes me want to shoot bigger for my 454 when I rebuild it, but for the meantime I hope the mods I've got planned will get my truck to even a fraction of the grunt that LB7 has.

Actually used it for truck stuff over the weekend, hauled pallets to a friend's burn pile, my and my brother almost got stuck in the field in 2Hi, so I popped it in 4Hi and eased on out, whereas he had to lock his hubs and crawl out.
I noticed a clunk coming from the front differential after I engaged the transfer case, but I think it was just driveline slack. I really need to look into those Posi-Lock kits, the thermal actuator is getting to be a pain in the ass any time I try to use 4WD.
You must be registered for see images attach
Do the electric actuator upgrade,I did and love it,no more waiting.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm nervous about working my way to that point in life. I'm looking for houses now, hoping to make some big moves on that this year; which will probably lead to more vehicles....my girlfriend laid down the law saying no more than two vehicles for both of us.

Little does she know.....
What insurance do you have for all your junk? I've got Allstate and my agent said he could cut me discounts for multiple vehicle policies and **** like that; the only thing I really worry about is a racecar whenever I get around to building one, I don't know how insurance would work for a dirt track car.

She said tonight she doesn't care how many trucks I have as long as it doesn't look like a hillbilly household; trucks and parts scattered everywhere and grass growing up high.

I'll be straight with you on this one, at least it's my point of view. If she doesn't have a ring on her finger she doesn't get say-so on what you do and don't do with your money until you get hitched. My now-wife had a fit when I told her how much my welding outfit cost from miller. Tank, machine, tools, PPE, all that stuff was about $2k (i had more than enough to put money down on a house when I did this, it was very affordable for me at the time). I told her to her face we weren't married so it didn't make a damn bit of difference how she felt about it. She called her mom.... her mom told her the same thing. Still got married. I gave that same advice to a buddy of mine from the sub I was on after he posted on FB something about his GF wouldn't let him buy something or whatever. Apparently he took my advice... and she dumped him. That's a pretty good sign he dodged a big ole' bullet. There's compromise, but serious stuff like that doesn't come before the vows do.

We also have her car, my car (shitbox), my truck, and my bronco. And everything is just peachy... especially since we have a son so she knows he'll have a good about of boy time with daddy working on and doing boy-stuff.

I used to use State Farm Insurance, and I would go back to them in a heartbeat if the policy was cheaper. They bent over backwards for me twice to get claims done in my favor when I wasn't the one at fault. Their office isn't the same without the ladies that used to work for him unfortunately, but the guy that ran my branch was top-notch, knew his stuff, and even helped me find a guy that was flexible with policy terms to give me renters insurance for whatever apartment I happened to occupy back when I traveled for a living. I was his customer for a good 10yrs. We use Erie Insurance. It's what the wife had and what she wouldn't stop clucking about until we swapped. It IS cheaper, but my deductible is a little higher. Meh.

Don't you live in a Carolina? Housing is cheap as **** there.

He lives near Charlotte. With the bypass being built and the work on 77 I'm not sure it's so cheap down there. But yeah, up where I live in the Triad, it's quite affordable. Especially when the county values my home at about 65% of it's appraised value... and I'm fine with that.

BNielsen, if you haven't considered it... get the shortest home loan that you can afford. We got a 20yr loan on ours at a great rate through PNC. Long-term calculation showed we'd save 34k vs 20yrs into a 30yr loan... can't beat that with a stick! (Edit, 34k in 20yrs, 50 in 30)

I'll own this place 17yrs from now when my kid graduates HS and we can empty-nest in style! We'll probably get another home, cash, and then buy some nice hunting land so we can enjoy it camping and have a good inheritance for the future generations.

Last edited:

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll be straight with you on this one, at least it's my point of view. If she doesn't have a ring on her finger she doesn't get say-so on what you do and don't do with your money until you get hitched. My now-wife had a fit when I told her how much my welding outfit cost from miller. Tank, machine, tools, PPE, all that stuff was about $2k (i had more than enough to put money down on a house when I did this, it was very affordable for me at the time). I told her to her face we weren't married so it didn't make a damn bit of difference how she felt about it. She called her mom.... her mom told her the same thing. Still got married. I gave that same advice to a buddy of mine from the sub I was on after he posted on FB something about his GF wouldn't let him buy something or whatever. Apparently he took my advice... and she dumped him. That's a pretty good sign he dodged a big ole' bullet. There's compromise, but serious stuff like that doesn't come before the vows do.

We also have her car, my car (shitbox), my truck, and my bronco. And everything is just peachy... especially since we have a son so she knows he'll have a good about of boy time with daddy working on and doing boy-stuff.

I used to use State Farm Insurance, and I would go back to them in a heartbeat if the policy was cheaper. They bent over backwards for me twice to get claims done in my favor when I wasn't the one at fault. Their office isn't the same without the ladies that used to work for him unfortunately, but the guy that ran my branch was top-notch, knew his stuff, and even helped me find a guy that was flexible with policy terms to give me renters insurance for whatever apartment I happened to occupy back when I traveled for a living. I was his customer for a good 10yrs. We use Erie Insurance. It's what the wife had and what she wouldn't stop clucking about until we swapped. It IS cheaper, but my deductible is a little higher. Meh.

He lives near Charlotte. With the bypass being built and the work on 77 I'm not sure it's so cheap down there. But yeah, up where I live in the Triad, it's quite affordable. Especially when the county values my home at about 65% of it's appraised value... and I'm fine with that.

BNielsen, if you haven't considered it... get the shortest home loan that you can afford. We got a 20yr loan on ours at a great rate through PNC. Long-term calculation showed we'd save 50k vs 20yrs into a 30yr loan... can't beat that with a stick!

I'll own this place 17yrs from now when my kid graduates HS and we can empty-nest in style! We'll probably get another home, cash, and then buy some nice hunting land so we can enjoy it camping and have a good inheritance for the future generations.

I've told her that before, whatever I buy is going to be with my own money; and she won't have much say in anything until we get married.
I was planning on a short term home loan; I figure a shorter time span with higher payments will be better in the long run versus waiting out an extended loan.
My parents actually just switched over to Erie; so maybe in the future I'll look at switching over.

Don't you live in a Carolina? Housing is cheap as **** there.

Mangonesailor is right; with them working on the interstate rebuild more and more people are moving out to Salisbury and Lexington areas. Not to mention the county taxing the piss out of everything when it comes to land and homes.
And while some of the places I'm looking at aren't terribly expensive, they aren't cheap either. I've been looking at foreclosed homes but a lot of them are in some sketchy areas.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If that's the case sooner is better than later unless you plan to relocate. If you do get a 30 year loan and apply extra to the principal wvery month, the difference in payoff time is nil unless you get a lower rate for a shorter term. Something to consider if you anticipate a decent raise in the next couple years.