Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's never left me dead on the road stranded in almost 2 years of ownership and close to 20,000 miles of driving; but 1,000 miles starting off going up over mountains and then steady 75 miles per hour for 16 or 18 hours just makes me nervous.

If he goes with a LB7, invest in a good water fuel and filter system for it. I'd go 1 micron for sure.

A lift pump with spin on filters is never a bad idea for a duramax.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've driven in road trips in worse vehicles. Just be sure to have an air pump, good spare, decent hand tools, and spare fluids in the back in a box.

I road-tripped one of my old porsches before. It burnt so much oil I never changed it, just kept adding it. While I was out one of my tire's valve stems blew out on an entrance ramp to the freeway. Threw the spare on, pumped it up, had it replaced the next day. No big deal.

I've had worse happenings close to home and down the street from parts stores than I have on trips. Worse thing I've had happen on a long trip is the fuse blow for the cig lighter after we got to Ga.

If your truck is maintained OK, and the hoses and stuff are in decent shape, i wouln't worry about it.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Highway miles are the easiest. Have you never been on a road trip?

Tons of times, most of which in a newer vehicle though;

A lift pump with spin on filters is never a bad idea for a duramax.

He got the truck home today, we had to park it at our factory with the C3500; maybe if I get a free moment this weekend I'll go and crawl around to see what all needs done up. I'm trying to convince him to add a FASS 150 with some good filters but he's not seeing the point yet.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I would take both of my trucks on a road trip with no hesitation.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I beat the **** out of my dually. Same powertrain and no troubles, no real logic to your fear here.

Yeah, you're right; I'm just psyching myself out I guess, my last few excursions down the interstate just felt like the truck wasn't happy at those speeds.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Yeah, you're right; I'm just psyching myself out I guess, my last few excursions down the interstate just felt like the truck wasn't happy at those speeds.
itll be fine brody, dave drove the wheels off his dually with a big ass camper and a trailer behind it and only left him stranded once. i think your truck unloaded will be fine lol

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Well now I feel bad about myself because I've been looking at LBZs and LLYs for myself all evening:lol:
I could never get rid of this truck though, I'd never forgive myself.

I've been kicking around the idea of road tripping up to Iowa this summer if my dad decides to tote the camper up; and hopefully in the coming months after replacing a good chunk of the front end components, fuel pump, all the filters and fluids changed out, and a shitload of other things I'll be able to make the drive without any worries.
You must be registered for see images attach

What're your guy's thoughts on a road trip in a 23 year old truck? Like I said, a mountain of new parts is inbound for this thing, good fluids, and some power upgrades so it's not going to be wheezing it's way across I80 trying to keep up with traffic.

Last time I took this thing on the interstate I kept getting pulley noises at 70 miles an hour, which was about 2200 RPM or so; so I'd back it down to 65, it's got a new tensioner and idler pulley; but they are bargain brand parts store too.
I thought I would end up keeping my 98 longer than this but it is what it is. Now my 88... I will never, ever, ever get rid of that. As far as road tripping your truck, if you are up to date on maintenance I wouldn't even flinch.

Yeah I beat the **** out of my dually. Same powertrain and no troubles, no real logic to your fear here.

itll be fine brody, dave drove the wheels off his dually with a big ass camper and a trailer behind it and only left him stranded once. i think your truck unloaded will be fine lol
Technically it stranded me twice (once was like, 2 miles from home when the distributor rotor screws backed out) but yeah, I put a lot of miles and driving on that truck. Bought with 135k, it's now just about to hit 190k.... Almost all of that was with the camper or camper and trailer... Biggest thing is just keeping up with maintenance when you have an old truck like this, and are working it hard. If you aren't really hauling with it, shouldn't be any problem at all.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess y'all are right; I've still got some parts to replace but going over the truck now I don't see many mechanical issues that could cause a failure, and anything that could is getting replaced with brand new parts.

Finally got a pic of dad's new rig; 2002 LB7, bone stock with 315K on it. And you wouldn't think it had that many miles looking at it, it's ****** cherry. It's even still got factory stickers on the frame and leaf springs, not to mention the interior is like new, and my dad said it drove almost as good as my mother's 09 C1500 Suburban.
I'm going to be sad getting rid of Old Betsy, but it's for the better. And some of the tacky **** is getting taken off, like the chrome mirrors, the running boards are gonna get plasti-dipped black, probably going to put stock fog lights back on instead of those hacked in LED pods.
You must be registered for see images attach

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I love them, my one complaint is that the bases they come with suck so I can't get a good solid adjustment on them.
Between the upgraded housings, 9011/9012, HD harness, and 4Hi kit I don't know if I can ever go back to stock GMT400 lights.
Sorry I'm going back a couple of days but where/who did you get the TYC ish headlights from on eBay. I'm not thrilled with the ones I just bought that have the cheap sticker vent. The passenger side adjuster screw was DOA and the free bulbs are pretty terrible.
Any tips for someone with DRLs trying to add the HD harness.
I'll look back through this thread but between Photobucket blocking old photos and an akward search function in Tapatalk sometimes it is just easier to ask.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk