Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want a K5 Blazer with a lumpy cam; honestly don't even care about power I just want it to sound like a boat motor.
I'm too stubborn to not get what I want, so I'm hoping to start looking for a K5 to be a toy/trail rig/daily sometime in the fall once I've got some money saved up. Either that or a 67-72 C10, something that'll be a toy/nice weather driver;
My cousin's been building a c10 rat rod for as long as I've been working on my Supra... I think he's on his 3rd engine and it just let all the glitter out into the bottom end........ one of these days before we both die both our hot rods might actually run at the same time.

My brother in law sold his '71 blazer 2 years ago. I still need to forgive him......

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Brody can just plug in the EGR valve on his 454 and get the same effect with that 411.
EGR is tuned out but still hooked up, I know when I had the issues with my MAF not reading and the truck was running in a crude speed density program it sounded like a boat motor but barely idled.
My cousin's been building a c10 rat rod for as long as I've been working on my Supra... I think he's on his 3rd engine and it just let all the glitter out into the bottom end........ one of these days before we both die both our hot rods might actually run at the same time.

My brother in law sold his '71 blazer 2 years ago. I still need to forgive him......
I wouldn't. An Action Line Blazer. That's literally a golden goose.
I have somewhat forgiven my uncle Shane for buying my deceased uncle Mike's 69 GMC Camper Special, I wanted that truck for years but I always felt there wasn't a right time to ask, well come to find out a few weeks after my uncle Mike passed, Shane bought the truck from my aunt.
It's getting the love and restoration it deserves but it still stings a little.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
EGR is tuned out but still hooked up, I know when I had the issues with my MAF not reading and the truck was running in a crude speed density program it sounded like a boat motor but barely idled.

I wouldn't. An Action Line Blazer. That's literally a golden goose.
I have somewhat forgiven my uncle Shane for buying my deceased uncle Mike's 69 GMC Camper Special, I wanted that truck for years but I always felt there wasn't a right time to ask, well come to find out a few weeks after my uncle Mike passed, Shane bought the truck from my aunt.
It's getting the love and restoration it deserves but it still stings a little.

Tuned out. . . but hooked up as in plugged in or just plumbed still?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Both, still wired in and plumbed in; at least I'm pretty sure it's tuned out. I requested that lextech make than change in my tune.

Soooo if you don't disconnect the power wire to the EGR valve, and you tune it out, but you leave it plugged in, it'll still hang open. Happened to me on my dually. Left it plugged in and plumbed, tuned it out, truck ran like ass. Idled rough like it had a donkey djck cam in it, stunk to hell and back, didn't run right, had a bunch of knock retard. As soon as I unplugged it world of difference. I'd missed that note about the EGR power wire. I believe it's a splice in the harness, so requires some splicing there to make the EGR functional again. Go unplug yours and see how it runs.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Soooo if you don't disconnect the power wire to the EGR valve, and you tune it out, but you leave it plugged in, it'll still hang open. Happened to me on my dually. Left it plugged in and plumbed, tuned it out, truck ran like ass. Idled rough like it had a donkey djck cam in it, stunk to hell and back, didn't run right, had a bunch of knock retard. As soon as I unplugged it world of difference. I'd missed that note about the EGR power wire. I believe it's a splice in the harness, so requires some splicing there to make the EGR functional again. Go unplug yours and see how it runs.
Hrm. I still have my block off plate somewhere. I'll have to try this
Maybe that's what's causing my misfire? @Mangonesailor I'll have to check my logs from the last long drive I took but didn't my KR go batshit along with the timing a few times?
I had to do the splice since the 96 EGR communicates with the ECM in a different manner than the 97+ black boxes, I'll check my pinout again for the specifics though.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe that's what's causing my misfire? @Mangonesailor I'll have to check my logs from the last long drive I took but didn't my KR go batshit along with the timing a few times?
I had to do the splice since the 96 EGR communicates with the ECM in a different manner than the 97+ black boxes, I'll check my pinout again for the specifics though.

If you did the EGR splice as instructed (correctly), then this is unlikely to be your issue. But it only takes 2 seconds to unplug it and go for a rip to see if it changes anything.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
KR, timing, and your trans Input shaft speed/engine crank speed delta.