Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you get the tow shifter from a newer Chevy installed and pinned I can definitely pull 4th gear out of your tune in tow mode, just in case you need it like that for a while.

Tow/haul is DEFINITELY useful for getting off on-ramps in cloverleafs up this way, btw.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@letitsnow, @Supercharged111
OD will only be used on flat ground, and I'm going to try and avoid it until I get my trans serviced, a shift kit installed, a bigger cooler and temp gauge, and tow/haul pinned in.

If you get the tow shifter from a newer Chevy installed and pinned I can definitely pull 4th gear out of your tune in tow mode, just in case you need it like that for a while.

Tow/haul is DEFINITELY useful for getting off on-ramps in cloverleafs up this way, btw.

No doubt; that's one of the main things that attracted me to the 0411 is programming that in, my dad runs his Tow/Haul mode in his LB7 anytime he's hooked up the camper and he said he didn't know how he got by with the old dually not having T/H.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With my 350, it doesn't like to hold OD when towing our camper. It works OK, but is more fun to drive if I use 3rd. I suspect with power curve of the 454, it is a totally different animal.

The gear that I plan to tow in would be a big deal as far as what rear gear I picked...

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When towing my 4000lb camper, you have to manually shift it into 3rd most times. That 454 will just lug along up hills at like 1800rpm in OD. Granted 4000lbs isn’t much of a workout for it. It would be nice if the converter at least unlocked.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
When towing my 4000lb camper, you have to manually shift it into 3rd most times. That 454 will just lug along up hills at like 1800rpm in OD. Granted 4000lbs isn’t much of a workout for it. It would be nice if the converter at least unlocked.

A PCM tune will help a lot with holding a gear. An unlocked converter is no good when towing, all it does it generate heat.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
FYI, Dorman PN 697360 is on sale at rock auto. it's 4.56 gear set for your front diff. Like $117 right now.