Bought a new motor with a cam can I run it on stock tune till I can get it dyno tuned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you think the guy is on the level, then that may very well be true. Trust, but verify. Pull a valve cover, and look and make sure it's a roller cam in there. If so, drive it. If not, run a break in on it. Simple as that.

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
If you think the guy is on the level, then that may very well be true. Trust, but verify. Pull a valve cover, and look and make sure it's a roller cam in there. If so, drive it. If not, run a break in on it. Simple as that.
I'm going to yank the valve covers just to be sure I hope it's a roller like he claims

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
The specs you posted on the previous page sound like what you'd want in a truck. Does the builder not have a record of the cam?
I purchased it off a younger guy that had it built by a friend that works at his local shop it was built about five months ago. All he had was a few pictures of the build and them details I posted plus he said the put a thicker timing chain and gears and high out put oil pump new heavy duty main bearings and moly rings other then that he said they just put this cam in it and the rest went back to factory specs. Looks like a quality job super clean block and they painted everything before assembly no paint on any of the bolts witch he also said are all new including new head bolts. But he didn't have actually paper work. He's a member on GM trucks.

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
I will believe it when I see it. I still think that you have no plans to ever get this tuned, and this thread was your way of asking the experts what would happen if you don't.

For a few hundred bucks, blackbear could send you a new ecm that would work well. It wouldn't be quite as good as an in person tune (if the tuner is ok), but it would still be really good. No down time, easy swap, inexpensive. This is what most rational people would do in that situation, but here again - I doubt that you have any plans to tune this...
You believe it now?