Bought a new motor with a cam can I run it on stock tune till I can get it dyno tuned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
So I purchased a completely rebuilt motor for my 98 the motor is from a 97 it's a 5.7. The guy had it gone through completely and did some upgrades and updates mainly stuff like high output oil pump a timing chain and gear upgrade molly rings upgraded main bearings. He had a hydraulic roller comp cam 460/460 lift, 280int./280 exh duration, installed. Problem is I live couple hours from the nearest tuner would I be able too install the motor and drive it around as a daily driver and till I get time to take it in and get it tuned?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Only 1 way to find out. What's the duration at .050"? Stock LSA was 111 and ICL 109 for these trucks. Something like .420/.430 lift and 191/196ish @ .050".

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
Only 1 way to find out. What's the duration at .050"? Stock LSA was 111 and ICL 109 for these trucks. Something like .420/.430 lift and 191/196ish @ .050".
That was my thought to only one way to find out. I'm very unfamiliar with cams in trucks I can rebuild my dirtbike motor from ground up but I'm lost on truck motors. The problem I got is I'm couple hours away from anyone that can tune it and we are starting to get ready for seading so wouldn't be able to get time to tune it till end of May. I'm concerned about running it lean or something and having it blow up. It would get a dyno tune first chance I get

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Then ask the previous owner if he has the cam card for it - or at least the part number.

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
Then ask the previous owner if he has the cam card for it - or at least the part number.
Oka dam I hope this motor will work it's already bin bought and paid for I was hoping I could just pull out my leaky worn out 5.7 and just stuff this one in place and have it run fine without a tune for the time being. I believe it's a Magnum Comp cam the guy built it to run a carb but told him to keep the intake and the carb as I'll be putting my stock vortec intake back onto it and running all stock components including the stock manifolds. Now yes I would like to have it tuned when I get time and around to it but would really like to know if I can run for month or two without a tune and how would it run. Also is this cam even able to work with my stock fuel injection had so called machanics say yes but now I'm concerned.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Oh I bet it's able to be tuned, the big question is how will it run on a stock tune. Could always decam to the 264 range as that likely would tolerate a stock tune.

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
Oh I bet it's able to be tuned, the big question is how will it run on a stock tune. Could always decam to the 264 range as that likely would tolerate a stock tune.
I got quoted $3000 to have a stock cam put back into this motor before I install it. There's noway id dare to try a cam swap myself that's a job I'll pay someone that knows what there doing but $3000 for a cam swap seems way to much.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I bet it's able to be tuned, the big question is how will it run on a stock tune
Sounds like a pretty mild cam to me. I would think, if you stayed off the skinny pedal, listen for detonation, and pull the plugs periodically and check to see if you are getting knock, running rich/lean, you could probably drive it for a while without a tune. You'll know right away if it doesn't sound right ie. lean pops out the intake, hesitation, idle cold and hot, etc.
https://www.dynamicefi.com/SparkPlug.php

BTW - The builder should have degree'd the cam and, like mentioned by @Gramps, have the cam card. Has the engine been broke in yet, big deal!