Bought a CC Dually 454 Whipple

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Being 1300 miles from your tools makes it awfully difficult to troubleshoot. It wasn't the pump. The damned air filter fell the f v c k apart and the MAF sucked in bugs, dirt, and a chunk of napkin.

You must be registered for see images attach

And nobody in town has a simple cone filter in stock so I glued the old one back together, sprayed the MAF with cleaner, put it back together and it runs great again. I roughed in my boosted VE to get me 2-4 tenths off of commanded PE fueling and we're headed back to CO tomorrow. I'll deal with the VE again in CA in 2 weeks. For now, the knock sensor isn't so busy and fuelling at lower elevations is less wrong.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, nobody having a fuel pressure tester wasn't helping. It was clearly lean across the board and only able to trim itself to an extent. Another reason not to descreen is it ****** them off with turbulent flow depending on the intake configuration. Plus the MAF parameter I was watching, I need to look again, but I believe it was a calculated airflow parameter and not a measured airflow parameter so I think I may have gotten in my own way to an extent as well.

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ahhh, trips away are always an adventure! Glad you got it sorted, even if its temporary!

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I figured out why the timing map seemed like it wasn't responding: I was logging the wrong PID. I was logging GM.DYNCYLAIR and I was supposed to be logging GM.DYNCYLAIR_DMA which is the speed density version and the 2 are calculated very differently. WIth the correct PID I'm blowing the lid off of the stock map by quite a bit and my boost timing puller dealy isn't configured correctly so it's not doing anything. Whoops. I'm about to flash a new MAF calibration in and hopefully figure out why I'm getting these wonky correction values for my VE to get it cleaned up so I can go back and add in some timing where it wants it. I think I've pulled a little too much at the moment as the truck is only getting single digit timing advance at WOT. I'm going to re-enable the stock PE timing adder so it only adds the timing when it's dumping the fuel, but it hasn't been adding enough fuel down here hence me going after the VE/MAF stuff.
I would think it would take 12-14* at WOT right? Being you're at stock CR with a aftermarket cam it should take a decent amount, even in boost.

This is what I was running, that said I haven't tried it at higher elevation yet.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I would have thought so. I only just got the top end of the timing map pulled back to kill the KR which tends to pull more than necessary. I was gonna clean up VE/MAF and start pouring timing back in and the whole MAF thing happened and screwed me over. Better luck in CA in 2 weeks but I think the elevation is higher and I know the days will be around 100 degrees. What are your IATs? Mine were 140-180.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I snuck a PE timing adder back in for the return trip and also fixed the closed loop fueling, it was commanding a lot of fuel when it was cold and always ran like ass. It's much smoother on a cold start now just commanding stoich. Truck made the return trip without a hiccup, only added a quart of oil for the whole trip and I think I started under full. With the cruise set at 70, I think I could count on one hand how many times it downshifted from western IA clear to CO for a hill. With it set on 75, it bounced back and forth a bit more.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would have thought so. I only just got the top end of the timing map pulled back to kill the KR which tends to pull more than necessary. I was gonna clean up VE/MAF and start pouring timing back in and the whole MAF thing happened and screwed me over. Better luck in CA in 2 weeks but I think the elevation is higher and I know the days will be around 100 degrees. What are your IATs? Mine were 140-180.

Glad to hear it's running better.

As far as iats go, as typically I've been seeing an ~40* rise in the 4-5 psi range. I'm guessing to hit 5 psi at this elevation I'll need to increase my gate pressure though, so likely more heat. Time will tell.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So right after hauling the camper back from MI to CO I turned around and hauled the Camaro to CA with no camper. Truck ran flawlessly and shortly after arrival, I tweaked the VE and MAF. Gonna do more tweaking to get it right here, but for the next 3 months, aside from school, the focus is the trailer and the Camaro.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I ordered a door handle last weekend and it showed up last week. The next day the interior driver's handle finally failed me. It had been getting worse the last couple of years, but DDing the thing the last few weeks finished it off in short order. I replaced it with a GM unit, had the same part number as the original even had the plastic insulation crap on it. The details like that are why I like original parts so much. That and the color, texture, and fitment seem to always be better. I put a Dorman handle on my 1500 and the trim ring has never quite fit right. No such problem here.

Same part number same everything. And now opening the door not only works again, it's a one handed ordeal. Before I'd gingerly pry on the handle with one hand while pushing on the door with the other to get it to open.