Bought a CC Dually 454 Whipple

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Friend's shop. I don't have the space or capability for this in my wimpy ass 20x20 garage with HOA. The Camaro and Corvette fill that right up along with all the other **** I have crammed in there. Same place I did the cam when it ate itself.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Well at least you have access to that. What a great resource. I would love a lift but in the same boat. Non starter considering my two car residential garage. I worry about leaving a vehicle on jack stands in the driveway overnight or without the wheels on because I do not want to be inconsiderate of my neighbors and the HOA. Makes for a stressful extended teardown.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Could be. Does it also tell the truck it's in 4wd and fire the diff actuator? My Haynes manual does not have trans or 4wd schematics. Lame.

Today I went after the rear brakes and was somewhat successful. Before, left and right respectively.

You must be registered for see images attach

Right side was way nastier. I wonder if it was doing more or leaking more? When I popped the ends out of the right wheel cylinder a bit of fluid leaked out. Left side after.

I need to sneak the wave washer back in the parking brake lever. Didn't realize it needed one until I saw it when disassembling the right side then found a 2nd one in the drain pan. Also kinda stuck on what spring goes with what shoe as there's 2 different kinds. I may toss the old ones back in, they were all 4 like the yellow one pictured here.

And what are those metal clips for?

As for the shoes, I had to run a 3/8" drill through the parking brake lug hole as the plates weren't stacked evenly to let it through.

Tough to see in the pic, but the misalignment is there. Super easy to blow through it though.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I began to suspect that. Seems like a chintzy way to plug a hole. Still not sure what to do about those springs, leaning toward reusing 2 older yellow style springs at the moment. Gotta get this rig together before the inevitable lockdown hits.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I began to suspect that. Seems like a chintzy way to plug a hole. Still not sure what to do about those springs, leaning toward reusing 2 older yellow style springs at the moment. Gotta get this rig together before the inevitable lockdown hits.

When I pulled mine, on one side, I got some generic rubber plugs. I don't recall if I was able to get them in, or not..... this was years ago.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
When I pulled mine, on one side, I got some generic rubber plugs. I don't recall if I was able to get them in, or not..... this was years ago.

I did that on my 1500. The damn knockout was still there, apparently GM didn't want you adjusting your own brakes.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Got the drums cleaned, installed, and brakes adjusted. I noticed that the left drum, like the rest of that side, cleaned up with no corrosion. It appears it may have been preserved by gear oil and gunk. Left and right respectively.

This one shoe doesn't quite want to seat all the way even after cycling the brakes.

Went ahead and buttoned it all up anyway. Lo and behold I ended up at the same spot for bearing preload, thanks to the yellow paint marker for reaffirming that. Got the brakes bled and adjusted so the shoes just barely kiss the drums. This was easy to do with the axles out as the drum assembly spun freely. Sprayed the dirt out of the inside of all the wheels and I think I found my leak.

Gonna head out soon to stick the front driveshaft in, tranny pan/filter, and dig out that broken stud if possible.