Bought a CC Dually 454 Whipple

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was apprehensive about removing the manifolds, but had my reasons to do so. 1 known broken stud.

You must be registered for see images attach

And the right side was leaking too.

There were a few loose fasteners too. This motor has studs for all but 1 on each side. A little PB Blaster and the nuts came right out. I'm glad I pulled them now, they're getting sandblasted and painted before reinstallation. Just another thing on this truck that isn't as clean as the rest of it.

Does this mean you're no longer looking for the size of a cap for the EGR port? Might want to consider checking them for flatness or getting them resurfaced before putting them back on. I've had the best luck with surfacing both faces and not using a gasket. No leaks, ever. Obviously not an option for you with the heads still on.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Oh I still am. I can either cap the tapered fitting or the hole in the manifold itself. Manifolds are out of the truck and headed to the sandblaster once I grab a can of VHT paint.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have a welder, but this looks like stainless. I've done 409, but I think this is a higher grade.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Got the trans in today with a borrowed jack, made install sooooo easy.

Tomorrow I'll get the t-case in and button this crap up. The rest of the brakes get here Saturday. I also dropped off the manifolds to get blasted, painted, and baked. Pan and gasket have been removed for the hot tank. After the pic was taken I hit it with a wire wheel prior to removal.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a welder, but this looks like stainless. I've done 409, but I think this is a higher grade.

For what you’re doing, I don’t think it matters. It’ll all stick and melt together enough to plug up the hole. But I’m pretty sure the fitting down on the manifold is plain steel.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ya know I got to looking today and it looks like there may be enough room in there after all to put the tube back on after all. I got the dipstick tube clean up and back in there. All the fasteners and nuts on the bellhousing are nice and tight and as the General delivered them and ironically easier than removing them. Also got t-case back in there and the wiring harness clamped back in and plugged back up. Going to go after the front ujoint tomorrow before shoving that back in and see about cleaning up my catpipes that are covered in mud, rust, and oil. Next I need to drop the steering box to swap out the pitman arm as it's hammered too. Saw in another post that 19.5" aluminum wheels are cheap, so definitely need to look into that.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
#andy396 what would it take to convert to slip on drums? Nothing on Rockauto specifies either way.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What's the name of this switch that I broke?

Forgot my brake tools and the vise grips at the shop all sucked so that didn't happen today. Beat the old ujoint out of the driveshaft and nicked the inside of the yoke and nothing there to Dremel it back into shape so stuck there. Got the cross member in and started cleaning on the exhaust.

Still more to go, but looking much better.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Good progress. Are you working in your own shop or a borrowed space?