Bought a CC Dually 454 Whipple

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What an asspain getting this damn trans out, and I got to do it in a heated garage. On the plus side, I think I found my problem.

You must be registered for see images attach

Now the concern is how to prevent a reoccurence. Hopefully a thoroughly ventilated crankcase does the trick. Tranny and tcase fluid came out nice and dark, God knows when the last time was they were purged. No mud in the pan though, so seems I have as healthy a trans as I thought.

Gonna degrease the trans before I reinstall. Also gonna do a full purge on it.

Last edited:

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Mine was on the schedule for this weekend too but got rain the entire weekend so far so much for that. That job gets to wait.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Were you gonna do a rear main or a trans purge?

Here's how I managed to not break a single exhaust fastener.

Tried heating with a propane torch but no go, soaking in PB Blaster now. I suspect install will be near impossible with it in the way. I want to remove the manifolds and have them blasted and painted and clean all the rust/oil/muck off the piping. Couldn't fit the pic into my last post.

Crookedaxle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Were you gonna do a rear main or a trans purge?

Here's how I managed to not break a single exhaust fastener.

Tried heating with a propane torch but no go, soaking in PB Blaster now. I suspect install will be near impossible with it in the way. I want to remove the manifolds and have them blasted and painted and clean all the rust/oil/muck off the piping. Couldn't fit the pic into my last post.

I found it hard to believe that a crankcase backfire blew my rear main seal out like it did. You'd think a backfire that bad would blow the whole damn oil pan or valve cover off which has 100 plus times more surface area than the rear main seal does. Mine even blew the dipstick out of the tube a couple of inches. They sure must pop out pretty easy if blowby causes it too.

Are you going into the transfer case to replace the usual suspect parts that usually cause problems?

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not perfect, but a bit better than before.

Next I drained the gear oil, this didn't look to be neglected like I thought it was going to be.

The oil came out way less nasty than the 1500, so it must have been halfway fresh. The black nasty didn't seem phased by the carb cleaner though so it likely was neglected at some point. The carrier is hammered so add that to the list. I dug deeper and found more.

Everything I've ever read says that duallies got slip on drums. Not mine. I used the same technique to mark preload on the hubs as I did with the pinion seal.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
And the rear brakes are pretty well toast.

Passenger side is even better.

Both shoes are cracked. Wheel cylinder is toast too, so gonna do shoes, hardware, and wheel cylinders.

Good thing the money is pretty well spent on the Camaro for the winter or else this would have hurt.