Body Drop How and How Much?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOOT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From the limited research I’ve done on stock floor body drops, looks like the most “difficult” part is cutting the front frame horns and reattaching lower to match whatever means of drop you’ve come up with for the rest of the can and bed. There’s probably enough “slack” in the collapsible steering coulumn for a 1 inch drop :shrug:

Truck isn't the straightest anyway, might have some frame twist and gonna use aftermarket fenders. Still thx for the suggestion/info.

I got a few new Jeep steering shafts for a good deal not long ago. They gotta be taken apart n cut down anyway a bit but planed to use them in a few of my projects. Also got a few lower column bearings, seems GM used the same size in A Lot of vehicles or at least several of my projects.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
If you dont mind running solid body mounts, this shouldn't be any more difficult than a body lift. Run some measurements between the stock frame and body to see what your minimum drop can be without rubbing and you can spin some new solid mounts on a lathe pretty quick.

There would just be some different things to watch out for, somebody already said check the steering shaft collapsed length. And Hood clearance could also become and issue with a stock air cleaner. Transmission tunnel clearance, exhaust mounts and clearance, etc.

Cool idea to get that little extra to make it stand out. I hope you give it a shot and start a build thread if you do!!

BOOT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you dont mind running solid body mounts, this shouldn't be any more difficult than a body lift. Run some measurements between the stock frame and body to see what your minimum drop can be without rubbing and you can spin some new solid mounts on a lathe pretty quick.

There would just be some different things to watch out for, somebody already said check the steering shaft collapsed length. And Hood clearance could also become and issue with a stock air cleaner. Transmission tunnel clearance, exhaust mounts and clearance, etc.

Cool idea to get that little extra to make it stand out. I hope you give it a shot and start a build thread if you do!!

Got a hood scoop and will make my own exhaust, deff will check how much room is above the trans.

BOOT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

But you will still have to body drop the bed.
I rem seeing those when I was researching repairing body mounts, maybe last winter. Forgot they had a drop set But I'd still make my own. No lathe, I got a few ideas to weld something up but until I get into it, can't say what will work.

Think I can maybe notch the bed support rails or w/e, again until I actually look at things can't say for sure. Hopefully just some quick cutting n a bit of welding on the bed.

Still looks like 3/4" is a safe bet and since I'll already be tearing everything apart but maybe 2 of the mounts, why not give it a shot.