Body Drop How and How Much?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOOT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so I plan to work on my RCSB project truck this year. I want to lower it with a suspension kit that I got on a parts truck, 5/7 I think and since I already was planning to remove the box for a bit to make things easier in the rear. Plus replace the rusted front clip(removing it will make engine stuff easier anyway, I've already collect most parts) and repair the rear cab mounts. Why not body drop it some?

Now I don't want crazy low and I'll prob use smaller but not super small tires.

I rem reading something maybe bout getting an inch or so with the box easy by cutting some. Basically just wondering what my options are and what else to consider or how much extra work before I put the truck back together. If it's easier to do an inch or go the 2.5" I've read for stock floor drops. I still want to spiritedly drive the truck and not make it a show queen or w/e. Solid body mounts just seem like spacers, so leaving them out or making shorter ones....

BOOT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh and I'm gonna change the gas tank to a fuel cell to make my carb swap easier(already got most everything). And use a rear rollpan, so just gotta work out the front bumper drop.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How does changing the gas tank make your carb swap easier? Seems like you're losing out on capacity, baffling, fitment, and cost when you could just plumb in a regulator.

BOOT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Smaller tanks have better fuel control in my opinion and I'll be able to improve weight distribution a bit. Not gonna try n adapt or repair this old rusty stock system. Now one of my cars it was worth it to adapt the stock efi fuel system for a carb but the proper way is to use two regs($$$) or a dual regulator setup. I was gonna orig do the truck that way but since I plan to pull the bed/box off anyway for other mods and I had a new pump n the other stuff was cheap.

Does it really matter if I like to do my fuel system another way? I only pointed it out cause from what I read about body drops the stock tank position was brought up a few times And if I am gonna go fuel cell I can put it where I want/need so that's not a problem for me.

Lets get back on subject :cool:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think fuel weight distribution is hardly a factor when your doing this much modifications. Solid or no body mounts? A 5" - 7" suspension lowering. Then an additional 2" channeling the body.
Hope your welding skills are up to it.
I would suggest searching everything " Street Trucks " has in article's or archived. This right up there line of project article.
Harsh ride? Clearance issues, easily high centered.
Whenever I see a lowered truck or auto, as a mechanic, my brain automatically starts listing all the things that could break or wear out, short service life. And no I'm not anti lowered vehicles, it just some couldn't drive over a corn chip without dragging it a block.
Have fun, good luck!

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn’t do a body drop unless I had a real nice coil over suspension or was on air ride. I think Phat Phabz has a static stock floor body dropped truck, but it’s obviously on a custom chassis. I also think they’re mostly just for show. I’m not sure if it’s feasible to have a DD that low.

I hate to point you away from this site, and generally don’t recommend Facebook, but The Bagged Board is a pretty good page with lots of info on these trucks.

BOOT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As I said prior, don't want it super undriveable low or max body drop really. If I can drop the body/box a bit, then I don't have to the suspension as much.

I was just reading bout using diff body mounts for 1/2" on a yukon. If I could get 1" body/box I'd be happy. And I can weld good enough for this non-show project truck.

Ride is not a concern, I'm sure it'll ride as good or nicer than my drag setup vettes/cars. Maybe worse as I'll be stiffening it up more.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Phat Phabz has a static stock floor body dropped truck
Wow, Phat Phabz is on the way into town from me, just a couple miles from my house. I always wondered what they did, but never got around to googling them. Interesting stuff, but priced way out of my budget.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the limited research I’ve done on stock floor body drops, looks like the most “difficult” part is cutting the front frame horns and reattaching lower to match whatever means of drop you’ve come up with for the rest of the can and bed. There’s probably enough “slack” in the collapsible steering coulumn for a 1 inch drop :shrug:

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, Phat Phabz is on the way into town from me, just a couple miles from my house. I always wondered what they did, but never got around to googling them. Interesting stuff, but priced way out of my budget.
Agreed on the budget. I’d love to have one of their full frames for a GMT400 build.