BNielsen's 2000 Chevy K3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I love me some nutserts!

Pro tip though, get the steel ones with splines on the outside, and a dab of green loctite between it and the sheet metal it's installed in if you care to. If the bolt inside ever seizes to the nutsert it'll never come out. Gotta make sure removal torque is less than the shear force in the application (looks like your cable mounting certainly is, but just for other folks out there)

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I love me some nutserts!

Pro tip though, get the steel ones with splines on the outside, and a dab of green loctite between it and the sheet metal it's installed in if you care to. If the bolt inside ever seizes to the nutsert it'll never come out. Gotta make sure removal torque is less than the shear force in the application (looks like your cable mounting certainly is, but just for other folks out there)
I'm planning on using the splined ones when I do the visor install, I used the generic ones supplied with the tool when I did the visor on the red truck but I accidentally pulled one of them out when I was bolting everything up, it's a bit of a learning process any time I work with these. But damn I love em.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Still got some stuff to do, windshield guy is coming Tuesday to replace the glass, there's a leak I think chased to the top of the windshield and I think the seal is bad, I can move the glass a couple of centimeters back and forth and almost see some daylight.
Still got a couple grounds to replace but I slammed two batteries back on it and went to see if it would fire, mind you this thing has been sitting since July? And it's been really cold the past few weeks, it was warmish today.

Cycled the glowplugs twice, it cranked 4 times and fired right off. I was so damn excited! Going for some work at my buddy's shop sometime this week, I'm hoping to take it on a shakedown run next weekend.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dropped it off today, hopefully going to pick it up tomorrow. Probably won't be able to give it a good shakedown run just yet but for now I'll drive it back and forth to work, I've got a feeling there's going to be plenty of things wrong I'll find in a short amount of time.

Attachments

• PXL_20221125_183410899.jpg
    PXL_20221125_183410899.jpg
    705.7 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20221125_183427651.jpg
    PXL_20221125_183427651.jpg
    780.6 KB · Views: 18

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Somehow I feel like every time a 6.5 starts an angel gets it wings.
my wife used to daily our old '98 burb with the 6.5. About once a week a well meaning guy would approach her in the parking lot or gas station telling her something was wrong with her car and she should get it looked at. Nope... that's just the 6.5. Supposed to sound like that.
Other than the PMD, they are reliable when properly cared for.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well what an eventful week.

Dropped the truck off, and my buddy couldn't get it started. Batteries were low, so they got jumped and boosted until he got it to start. Wound up being bad glowplugs which is weird because of how well it started before. Maybe those few cranks did them in.

New glowplugs, new harmonic balancer and pulley, and a fresh oil change. Took the truck out for a rip and it ran great! Got on it leaving a stop sign to see how much boost I was pushing and it died.
Coasted to a stop, hopped out and cranked it a few times, bled the fuel system out and there was a LOT of air in the system. Bled it off and it fired off just fine. So the next hurdle is figuring out where the air is coming from.

Attachments

• PXL_20221202_215752819.jpg
    PXL_20221202_215752819.jpg
    691 KB · Views: 6

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well what an eventful week.

Dropped the truck off, and my buddy couldn't get it started. Batteries were low, so they got jumped and boosted until he got it to start. Wound up being bad glowplugs which is weird because of how well it started before. Maybe those few cranks did them in.

New glowplugs, new harmonic balancer and pulley, and a fresh oil change. Took the truck out for a rip and it ran great! Got on it leaving a stop sign to see how much boost I was pushing and it died.
Coasted to a stop, hopped out and cranked it a few times, bled the fuel system out and there was a LOT of air in the system. Bled it off and it fired off just fine. So the next hurdle is figuring out where the air is coming from.
6.5 life. Rusted fuel lines?