BNielsen's 2000 Chevy K3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After talking to a couple different guys about it, it's been narrowed down to 3 things.
The LP is failing
The OPS is faulty, which is causing the LP to act up. (which is going to suck because I am impressed at how much oil pressure this truck has)
The sock on the sender in the tank is either plugged or somehow messed up.

I'm under the weather today and wrapped up in spending time with the in-laws so I don't have time to work on it today. Tested the LP and it was showing 5 PSI with the key on, and 6-7 PSI with the truck running, I'm gonna jump the OPS to see if I can get more out of it.
My best bet is the sock is plugged and when I accelerate it suctions down and stalls the truck.
I also think the cap is faulty too, and not venting properly because the tank is super pressurized after the trucks been running.

Attachments

• PXL_20221203_221507082.jpg
    PXL_20221203_221507082.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 1

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You may be facing a rusty tank cleaning. I just had to clean out the tank on my salamander. Don't worry about the oil pressure, the switch for the fuel pump is separate from what gives you pressure.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You may be facing a rusty tank cleaning. I just had to clean out the tank on my salamander. Don't worry about the oil pressure, the switch for the fuel pump is separate from what gives you pressure.
The oil pressure switch is what supplies direct power to the fuel pump, if I'm looking at the right stuff.
I honestly think the messed up sock or the tank having gunk in it is the reason it wound up in the yard. If it's a bad tank I'll just replace the damn thing instead of trying to clean it.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The oil pressure switch is what supplies direct power to the fuel pump, if I'm looking at the right stuff.
I honestly think the messed up sock or the tank having gunk in it is the reason it wound up in the yard. If it's a bad tank I'll just replace the damn thing instead of trying to clean it.

At least check how bad it is before replacing. The new tanks are not quite what the OEM ones are. I bought a Spectra-Premium and it's not bad, but I'd rather have a stock tank. I actually have the original sitting in my backyard gathering rust with the intention of having Gas Tank-Renu fixing it..... just hasn't been a priority. It would end up being a spare. The area below the filler neck rusted through.

My cap is bad..... I already replaced it, but I think it's actually an GMT-800 design and the door doesn't fully close. So I cleaned the original in soap and hot water, but the tank still forms a vacuum. I don't know why I thought cleaning it would do any good. I need to buy another one, I guess. It just won't be a GM cap, unless I can find an NOS GMT-400 cap.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
At least check how bad it is before replacing. The new tanks are not quite what the OEM ones are. I bought a Spectra-Premium and it's not bad, but I'd rather have a stock tank. I actually have the original sitting in my backyard gathering rust with the intention of having Gas Tank-Renu fixing it..... just hasn't been a priority. It would end up being a spare. The area below the filler neck rusted through.

My cap is bad..... I already replaced it, but I think it's actually an GMT-800 design and the door doesn't fully close. So I cleaned the original in soap and hot water, but the tank still forms a vacuum. I don't know why I thought cleaning it would do any good. I need to buy another one, I guess. It just won't be a GM cap, unless I can find an NOS GMT-400 cap.
I definitely want to avoid having to replace the tank; I have no doubt there's crud in the bottom; which I'm going to try and clean it as best as I can.
The cap is kind of a annoyance thing, I'd love an NOS GM one but the chances of finding a diesel one aren't looking great, so I'll just pick the best one from Rock Auto or NAPA and hope for the best.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I definitely want to avoid having to replace the tank; I have no doubt there's crud in the bottom; which I'm going to try and clean it as best as I can.
The cap is kind of a annoyance thing, I'd love an NOS GM one but the chances of finding a diesel one aren't looking great, so I'll just pick the best one from Rock Auto or NAPA and hope for the best.

You don't need to find a NOS diesel tank. A TBI era gasoline tank is the same damn thing. Just make sure to snag that 34 gallon piece.