Blue Driver Scanner. What Do You Think?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bluedriver, OBDLink etc are all just Bluetooth ELM327 OBD2 adapters. To the best of my knowledge none of those will read ABS info, and I don't believe any of them are bi-directional other than the ability to clear codes. If you want full ABS capabilites for a '97 your best bet is probably either an older Snap On as mentioned, or one of the $300 Tech2 clones.
My wired OBDII scanner will not read ABS in either the Tahoe or the one ton. It just says no communication.
I think for a 97 it is a no go regardless. Seems 98's will read ok.

The OBDLink MX+ is supposed to be bi-directional. This is from a review.

"the icing on the OBDLink MX+ cake is that it can do bidirectional controls. You can perform active tests on any compatible vehicle. Such tests include locking and unlocking doors, starting the car remotely, etc."
Of course, it depends on the vehicle and year I would think.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The OBDLink MX+ is supposed to be bi-directional.

If it is, I'm willing to bet that the functions are very limited and few to none of them apply to these trucks. Best of luck if you decide to order one, but I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for in these products. I've got a PLX Kiwi which is one of the nicer ELM327 adapters, and it hasn't been able to read ABS info on any vehicle I've tried it on with any software.

Regarding the discussion about PCM differences, the '96-'97 black boxes are kind of oddballs. Tuning support is very limited (I think Jet DST/TunerCat is basically the only option) and they're more picky about which scanners are fully compatible. '98+ are supported by HPTuners and I believe are a little less picky about scanners.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it is, I'm willing to bet that the functions are very limited and few to none of them apply to these trucks. Best of luck if you decide to order one, but I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for in these products. I've got a PLX Kiwi which is one of the nicer ELM327 adapters, and it hasn't been able to read ABS info on any vehicle I've tried it on with any software.

Regarding the discussion about PCM differences, the '96-'97 black boxes are kind of oddballs. Tuning support is very limited (I think Jet DST/TunerCat is basically the only option) and they're more picky about which scanners are fully compatible. '98+ are supported by HPTuners and I believe are a little less picky about scanners.
I'm not looking to tune or program. Also I pretty much determined ABS data is not available on the '97 and likely older. Maybe with an expensive dealer level one but that is out of the question.
I want something that can do what my wired one does but just with a larger display so I can also use it while running the truck to view and collect data.
The Android app for this one has some really nice features and cool info (gauges) display.
It's something to play with and learn a bit more about some of this.
My wired one is a PIA to use. I does the basic job but no firmware/software updates and support is worse that terrible.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also I pretty much determined ABS data is not available on the '97 and likely older.
Of course it is. I can do everything except cycle the ABS for "automated bleeding" on my '97 K2500 with an ancient Snap-On "Red Brick" MT/ MTG2500. Same for my Solus Pro with 8.2 software. Note that automated bleeding of a 2003 Trailblazer is available. I don't know why they won't do the '97.

For that matter, I'm able to work on ABS of my '92 and '93 Luminas using the Red Brick or the Solus Pro.

Support for the RWAL on the '88 K1500 is pretty spotty, but that's more due to the RWAL computer than the scan tool.

Maybe with an expensive dealer level one but that is out of the question.
A Solus Pro with 14.2 software will do everything including "automated bleeding" on my '97 K2500. I've heard that "2010" software will do automated bleeding. So I guess that was added to the Snap-On software package after 8.2 and before 11.x.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also I pretty much determined ABS data is not available on the '97 and likely older.

It is, but you need a scanner that's capable. That's why I mentioned the older Snap Ons and the Tech 2 clones. Either can be had in the $2-400 range.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Of course it is. I can do everything except cycle the ABS for "automated bleeding" on my '97 K2500 with an ancient Snap-On "Red Brick" MT/ MTG2500. Same for my Solus Pro with 8.2 software. Note that automated bleeding of a 2003 Trailblazer is available. I don't know why they won't do the '97.

For that matter, I'm able to work on ABS of my '92 and '93 Luminas using the Red Brick or the Solus Pro.

Support for the RWAL on the '88 K1500 is pretty spotty, but that's more due to the RWAL computer than the scan tool.

A Solus Pro with 14.2 software will do everything including "automated bleeding" on my '97 K2500. I've heard that "2010" software will do automated bleeding. So I guess that was added to the Snap-On software package after 8.2 and before 11.x.
When I say "not available" what I mean is you select "view ABS DTCs" on the scanner and it says connecting then says no communication or can't communicate. I'll have to plug it in to get the true message I get.
Both '97's do the same thing trying to get ABS data. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, don't know.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bottom line is that even though my scanner says it is capable of reading ABS codes it doesn't. I have found others who complain about this also and some say it works on a handful of models and years despite the company's assurance that it will work great.
Support actually told me "it works fine, you don't know how to use it".

I'll get the new one to play with it and see how it goes. Should be fun!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you're getting it as a gadget to play with and do some basic diagnostics, that's great. The Bluetooth adapters are great things to have around especially if you have a smart phone. I love my PLX Kiwi, I keep it in my toolbox in case I need to scan my truck or someone else's vehicle while I'm out and about.

If you're getting it with the intention of being able to read ABS info on your '97s, I believe you're going to be disappointed. For anything beyond basic "Check Engine Light" diagnostics on my '97s I pull out the Tech 2 clone.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've looked a bit for a Tech 2 clone but so far the price is up there. Any links to a reasonably priced one?!
I am finding some ABS bleed units such as the Foxwell NT630 Elite which is said to be able to do a 96 Tahoe and goes for about $145 on Amazon.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've looked a bit for a Tech 2 clone but so far the price is up there. Any links to a reasonably priced one?!

I just looked, it seems like almost all of the listings have been removed, which is very odd. Even the Chinese sites that used to stock tons of them like Alibaba and DHGate seem to be no longer listing them.

I did find this one on eBay for $390, which is a little high but it comes with a carrying case. IIRC that's only about $50 more than I paid for mine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324925175971