Blower motor wires melting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larox37

Reaction score
So I have a 1995 gmc seirra 5.7 1/2 ton and i was having issues with my heater. I know my climate control panel is messed up (no junkyard around that has the 95 one and haven't wanted to buy the new one for a 100+) but whenever i would hit the glovebox the blower would turn back on the other day it wouldn't turn on for Any thing well it turned out there was a wire on the back of the hvac controls that looks like it burned some, and then there is a connector behind the globebox too I toutched the connected behind the globebox once I got the blower going again (wiggled some wires in the back of the hvac controls) and I immediately burned my fingers touching the plastic it was so hot. My question becomes what is making this connector so damn hot. I included a few pictures of the things I am talking about the back of the hvac controls it seems like that Brown wire is burned some? For now I cut the connector out and spliced them together and it seems slightly better but still pretty warm. Any ideas?

You must be registered for see images attach

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Your wiring looks different than what I've seen on my truck, but it's probably the same deal, regardless. The wiring isn't providing an adequate path for the power, and it's getting hot, making it even worse. Mine burned a wire behind the blower switch and the switch itself in the dash, and eventually the wire on the blower itself. It took me quite some time to figure out what was going on. I replaced the damaged parts at the HVAC control panel and that worked for awhile, but then I was still having issues. I even replaced the blower motor. I had looked at the positive cable at the blower and the plastic connector housing looked loose, but the contact itself looked fine to me. Eventually that connector started looking bad, and I replaced it. The problem was completely fixed, when I used a regular spade connector for the positive power wire.

I eventually wore out the replacement blower and ended up re-installing the original, which had no more issues with the new connector in place.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a similar experience on a gmt800. The blower motor resistor connection kept melting. You would practically have to break the pigtail out of the resistor. I replaced the resistor and the connector and it melted again. Turned out the fix was the blower motor. My theory was that it was going bad and drawing too much current or something. Because a new motor stopped the connectors from cooking. (Electrical is my worst skill, so don’t take that as an expert opinion)

Point of that whole spiel was to say I have seen connectors and wires get cooked from a bad component in the system.

Larox37

Reaction score
Okay, well what I'll do this weekend hopefully is test how much each area is drawing power wise

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The bad connection by itself would cause the heat problem. The wire is probably big enough but the connector getting loose or oxidized would cause the connection to get warm by acting like a resistor. Revising the connection should fix the problem. If all the fan speeds work, installing a new connector will probably take care of the issue.