Blower motor troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95_silverado

Reaction score
I just replaced my blower motor, blower motor reisitor, and the relay on my 95 c1500 a little over a month ago. A week ago it just cut out on me. I have no clue what could be causing it, I tested all the new parts that were installed. The ground to the motor was crusty but still the motor will not blow air. I'm tired of shooting in the dark and need help.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the voltage on the wire that plugs into to the blower. See what it reads at various blower speeds - it should go up to battery voltage on high and be less at decreasing blower speeds.

Compare using a chassis ground and the ground wire from the blower to rule out an issue with the ground wire.

If you have no voltage regardless of the selected speed, then it is upstream and probably at your panel blower switch. On the later ones (96+) the blower switch connector likes to melt and cause issues but I’m unsure if the 95 had the same connector or not. Take a look, it’ll be noticeable and your blower switch pins may have melted plastic on them.

Edit: here’s a diagram for a 98. Make sure that your 25A fuse on the dash side panel isn’t blown if it doesn’t work at any speed.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just replaced my blower motor, blower motor reisitor, and the relay on my 95 c1500 a little over a month ago. A week ago it just cut out on me. I have no clue what could be causing it, I tested all the new parts that were installed. The ground to the motor was crusty but still the motor will not blow air. I'm tired of shooting in the dark and need help.
Same-zies, man. Same-zies. Blower, blower motor, grounding wire, blower motor resistor, HVAC control module, clean/clear evaporator coil and still running at ~50% of maximum speeds (in other words, when I have the blower selector on "Hi," the blower is running at about medium speed. I wish I had the money to do a frame off resto mod on my "99 K2500 Suburban, as it has a long laundry list of misc. things that need to be addressed.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That wiring diagram doesn't show the thermal limiter that was part of the blower resistor on my '97 K2500.

I've seen multiple blower resistors where the resistor coils were fine--the thermal limiter had popped; and that results in no blower except on high speed.
Photo--blower resistors from a '98 Monte Carlo. Thermal limiter tucked under the resistor coils.
You must be registered for see images attach

No doubt thermal limiters are available from Digi-Key, Mouser, and similar electronics stores. I wouldn't know what specs to ask for, though.

I knew there was trouble when the smoke was coming out of the dash vents. Blower motor burned up, taking the 50-amp ma_xi-fuse, the 25 amp blower fuse, and the thermal limiter on the resistor array with it.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The fan switch and harness to it are known for burning up on the 1995-up controls. They are replaceable separately; no need to replace the entire control. Pigtail is a bit pricey as they always tend to be, but the switch is fairly cheap. Give 'em a look. Be careful pulling the control head as the plastic is usually very brittle, especially on the tabs to release it from the dash.

Richard

Reaction score
The fan switch and harness to it are known for burning up on the 1995-up controls. They are replaceable separately; no need to replace the entire control. Pigtail is a bit pricey as they always tend to be, but the switch is fairly cheap. Give 'em a look. Be careful pulling the control head as the plastic is usually very brittle, especially on the tabs to release it from the dash.

Richard

Yes - I pulled my my old HVAC control module and replaced it with a new AC Delco (OEM) HVAC control module. When I pulled the old one out, the plastic was literally crumbling in my hands and the tabs broke off just by looking at them. Not a big deal. The new module has all-new plastic with tabs, so it snapped in tight.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes - I pulled my my old HVAC control module and replaced it with a new AC Delco (OEM) HVAC control module. When I pulled the old one out, the plastic was literally crumbling in my hands and the tabs broke off just by looking at them. Not a big deal. The new module has all-new plastic with tabs, so it snapped in tight.
In the grand scheme of things it's not a disaster; the dash bezel actually does a fair job of holding the controls in the dash, but they'll just feel a little loose. It would drive me nuts so personally I try to be super careful with the tabs - and regardless of care, they often still break.

Richard

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen multiple blower resistors where the resistor coils were fine--the thermal limiter had popped; and that results in no blower except on high speed.

No doubt thermal limiters are available from Digi-Key, Mouser, and similar electronics stores. I wouldn't know what specs to ask for, though.

Just for the record...

I had one of the thermal fuses cause a blower fan issue on my 1995 S10 recently (picture of its resistor assembly attached).

It uses three (3) of those thermal limiting fuses. Visibly / physically, they appear akin to a low-amperage diode or small-wattage resister. In fact, when I first saw them I didn't recognize them / know their purpose.

These thermal fuses should measure ~0 ohm when they're "good".

On my S10, all three were rated at 152degC (look for the marking "Tf" on the barrel of the device for its temp spec, i.e., Tf 152C). There may also be an amperage rating on them, but I didn't note it.

On the S10, the blower motor's operation depends on which fuse(s) are good. Any of the "speeds" other than "high" might be impaired or remain operational, it depends on which of the three fuses remain functional.

Here are some available on eBay as of now.

Attachments

• 1995 S10 blower fan resistors and thermal fuses.jpg
    1995 S10 blower fan resistors and thermal fuses.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Thermal fuse - pictured.jpg
    Thermal fuse - pictured.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited: