Blend door actuator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

highwaystar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe the blend actuator is going out, it’s clicking when prompted to move when running a/c rec door. It’s the one on passenger side by the blower motor. I don’t know which actuator to order? 1994 C1500 5.7L

JeremyNH

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the 94 is like my 98 that is the recirc door. The blend door is in the middle of the dash and mounted on the coil box. The one by the blower controls the damper that directs air intake from either inside or outside. It always goes to recirc when the AC is on. It's the same part number as the blend door though which for me was Dorman 604-107. Yours may be different though so take a look at Rock Auto. My blend door gave out last year. The original door had blue plastic gears and the main gear was cracked (original had a metal journal but it was for show, everything inside was plastic, took it apart after I got it out to make sure there was in fact something wrong with it). The Dorman gears (and journal so it looks cheaper than OEM but likely better) are nylon so presumably not prone to cracking.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure why this is posted in "Engine Performance + Maintenance".

I've never replaced an HVAC actuator. Maybe I'm wrong.

Aren't all the acutators the same? Looks like a teeny-tiny Grand Piano?

At least, it seems that way on my '88.

Maybe there's internal differences, but they all look the same to me.

Last edited:

JeremyNH

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Speaking only of the 98 k1500 no. The blend door and recirc actuators are the same. They're about the size of a hand. The mode select actuator (the one that directs air to which vent) is different. It's a little larger and has a longer range of travel. The mode select actuator is on the drivers side inner footwell, the blend door in the dash middle on the heater box, and the recirc mounted just under the blower.

RichardSwinger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure why this is posted in "Engine Performance + Maintenance".

I've never replaced an HVAC actuator. Maybe I'm wrong.

At least, it seems that way on my '88.

Maybe there's internal differences, but they all look the same to me.
I have been looking for information on this EXACT same issue on my 98 K2500 and couldn't find a topic that pertained to HVAC controls; perhaps on these 20+ year old trucks this problem would be considered Maintenance...? Is there another more appropriate place to put this? (I couldn't find one).

very helpful info with the part number. There is a YouTube video of a guy replacing this actuator without taking the whole dash apart, but he needed a scope camera to get eyes on one of the bolts. Let us know how it turns out!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been looking for information on this EXACT same issue on my 98 K2500 and couldn't find a topic that pertained to HVAC controls; perhaps on these 20+ year old trucks this problem would be considered Maintenance...? Is there another more appropriate place to put this? (I couldn't find one).

very helpful info with the part number. There is a YouTube video of a guy replacing this actuator without taking the whole dash apart, but he needed a scope camera to get eyes on one of the bolts. Let us know how it turns out!

It's really not that difficult to replace, unless you got giant ham fists.

The only other part I removed to replace this one was the glove box liner, so I could put the drop light up there.

https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/170970

If the pics don't show up, set your browser to "allow insecure content" just on that site. Godaddy hosts my pics and it's "not secure" while Chevytalk is; this has broken pictures served from my site..

Richard

RichardSwinger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's really not that difficult to replace, unless you got giant ham fists.

The only other part I removed to replace this one was the glove box liner, so I could put the drop light up there.

https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/170970

If the pics don't show up, set your browser to "allow insecure content" just on that site. Godaddy hosts my pics and it's "not secure" while Chevytalk is; this has broken pictures served from my site..

Richard
Yeah! I knew I saw a thread on it in here somewhere! Thanks man! I'm going to try to tackle it here soon when I've got a free day to myself, your info gives me the courage to try and make it happen

highwaystar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea, it's the actuator for the little ac recirc door behind the blower motor, I just unplugged it and bagged it for now. Thanks for the info.!

RichardSwinger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, it's the actuator for the little ac recirc door behind the blower motor, I just unplugged it and bagged it for now. Thanks for the info.!
Wait... I can just unplug it??? So if I unplug it, it will be stuck in "non recirc" mode? That's not a bad idea!

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 98 and a 94 both had a popping sound, the recirculating one goes bad in these alot. I replaced the 98 it was easy enough but the 94 is a pain.