Blend door actuator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dave s

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I finally got around to taking care of that irritating click click click noise every time I cycled the key. I searched and read everyones posts on it, watched a couple you tube videos. Took the glove box insert out, discovered the little bracket on the left side the door pivots on broken. I'll add that to the next pick and pull list. I gotta say, I've done lots of mechanical work for myself but that little top bolt proved to be one of the biggest pains in the butt ever! Lol. I did eventually get it using the piece of 3/8" gas line as an extension to make my 1/4" drive ratchet longer. And a couple breaks on my back because, well it just ain't a comfortable position to be in at my age! Finally got it out and discovered it was a 2 pin and the parts store had got me a 5 pin. I saw a pic of someone here who took the screws out and showed the stripped gear. So at 9:30 at night I said what the heck, I opened it up. Sure enough that little white gear was missing a few teeth. The new actuator was clipped together so I opened it up and popped both gears out to compare. Looked identical so I just swapped it out. Screwed it back together and ran it through a couple cycles and seemed good. So I put it back to center, then got lower screw and plug in but that top one was a pain. After much trial and error I was finally able to get that top bolt in and tightened up. A long pair of bent nose needle nose pliers saved me as I reached through the top and held the socket from loosening every time I tried to ratchet it back to get the next bite for tightening. It was definitely a test of my patience and a couple times I thought to myself, that dang clicking noise wasn't that bad after all! Once done, I turned on the key to a nice quiet actuator. Since I could see all three of them now I pressed buttons and watched which one was moving. Both the others are a piece of cake to change compared to the one I replaced. To me it looks like the one I changed works on max. I really didn't notice it moving when pressing the other buttons. The only issue now is the defrost seems like it's not opening. I did hi on fan and had vents, floor but hardly any air moving up to defrost. Any ideas? I left everything open so I can get that fixed as well.

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
After you have recovered and you are ready again, get on u back in the driver side and clean up the actuator cams on the mode system best you can. You can operate the mode and see the linkages if they're bind up or anything.

texas tough

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
open drivers side door, lay 2 short chairs right next to the cab.. kneel on the chair, then turn to your back.. now scoot yourself into the cab, and in between the seat, and under the steering wheel..your legs and ass will be resting on the chairs, and back and head on the floor .. now lay in comfort and in the perfect position to work under the dash.. if its the blower side, do the same on the passenger side.. there is no easier way. Ive tried.

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After you have recovered and you are ready again, get on u back in the driver side and clean up the actuator cams on the mode system best you can. You can operate the mode and see the linkages if they're bind up or anything.
This is good advice. I rebuilt my hvac box and replaced the linkages because they were so gunked up. The doors move much smoother now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

dave s

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will try that tomorrow. I only looked at that actuator and I could see it was working. Thanks for the advice!

dave s

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I took you guy's advice, actually got my wifes little wood bench she has for decoration, but it's just the right height, laid on that. I can see the actuator arms and after looking up there a minute I could see the top arm had fell off the black post and metal rod up there. Looks like I need some sort of clip to keep it from coming off again. And that is definitely another tight space! Looks like a job for long pliers.

dave s

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is what I'm seeing. The top of the front arm was popped off the arm coming out of the vent. I do need some kind of clip to put on the end though.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is what I'm seeing. The top of the front arm was popped off the arm coming out of the vent. I do need some kind of clip to put on the end though.

If the metal clip fell off the damper shaft, the clip is keyed to the shaft (D-shaped) and pressed on so make sure the alignment is correct if you find a way to attach it. Otherwise, the actuator would not position the damper correctly.

You must be registered for see images attach

Edit: nevermind, it sounds like you’re just missing the plastic push button retainer (#27 below). Here is GM part number (or probably nearly free at junkyard)

Last edited: