Blazer overhead console screen in full size?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all, I remember reading a thread on here a few years ago that talked about putting a 98-04 Blazer/Jimmy/Bravada screen into a GMT400 overhead console, I can't seem to find it, but I'm interested in adding one to my 94 Sierra.

One thing I remember reading is that the avg fuel economy, range, and that fancy stuff needs OBD2, so it obviously won't work in my truck, but I've seen screens that just have compass and temperature, and I figure that it shouldn't be too hard to do. I already have a temp sensor wired into the cab for a project that has for now been put on hold, but anyways, what should I be looking for when buying a screen?

Is there any extra stuff I would need other than the temp sensor (which again, is already in the truck)? Is the compass built into the screen or is it a separate module? Will I need a bracket or anything in the overhead console or will it just fit right in? Does the Blazer screen dim when the lights are on, or is it max brightness all the time? And finally, does anyone have the wiring harness for a screen that only does compass and temperature?

Thanks for any and all help! More screens = more better. I already have two for the stock radio, one for the climate control, another soon for a auto dim mirror from a GMT800.

small edit: does anyone have a picture of a compass and temp screen on? I'd like to know what it looks like when it's on, but I haven't found one yet oddly enough...

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Hey all, I remember reading a thread on here a few years ago that talked about putting a 98-04 Blazer/Jimmy/Bravada screen into a GMT400 overhead console, I can't seem to find it, but I'm interested in adding one to my 94 Sierra.

One thing I remember reading is that the avg fuel economy, range, and that fancy stuff needs OBD2, so it obviously won't work in my truck, but I've seen screens that just have compass and temperature, and I figure that it shouldn't be too hard to do. I already have a temp sensor wired into the cab for a project that has for now been put on hold, but anyways, what should I be looking for when buying a screen?

Is there any extra stuff I would need other than the temp sensor (which again, is already in the truck)? Is the compass built into the screen or is it a separate module? Will I need a bracket or anything in the overhead console or will it just fit right in? Does the Blazer screen dim when the lights are on, or is it max brightness all the time? And finally, does anyone have the wiring harness for a screen that only does compass and temperature?

Thanks for any and all help! More screens = more better. I already have two for the stock radio, one for the climate control, another soon for a auto dim mirror from a GMT800.

small edit: does anyone have a picture of a compass and temp screen on? I'd like to know what it looks like when it's on, but I haven't found one yet oddly enough...
Lol. Funny you'd post this as I just put my spares up for sale here :D

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/overhead-console-trip-computers.53026/

Pics in link, including one of them installed (pictured is the trip computer, only difference between it and the comp/temp only version is the two displays are swapped). The display does dim with the rest when all wires are connected. Compass is part of the unit. No brackets required, all built into the console already. You'll need power (Run/Accy Ign), ground, dimmer, park lights sig, and a line from your VSS buffer.
You can pull the harness from a blazer.. I might be able to make you a decent length pigtail using some of my spare parts and wire here if you wanna buy my unit... But you probably will still need some of your own wire to complete the runs.

I also have the wiring diagram needed, but the connections are pretty simple.

Last edited:

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lol. Funny you'd post this as I just put my spares up for sale here :D

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/overhead-console-trip-computers.53026/

Pics in link, including one of them installed (pictured is the trip computer, only difference between it and the comp/temp only version is the two displays are swapped). The display does dim with the rest when all wires are connected. Compass is part of the unit. No brackets required, all built into the console already. You'll need power (Run/Accy Ign), ground, dimmer, park lights sig, and a line from your VSS buffer.
You can pull the harness from a blazer.. I might be able to make you a decent length pigtail using some of my spare parts and wire here if you wanna buy my unit... But you probably will still need some of your own wire to complete the runs.

I also have the wiring diagram needed, but the connections are pretty simple.
Dimmer, I suppose that I'll have to tap into the radio for that one right? Or will I tap into the parking lights?

VSS buffer, that's a new one, what is that?

Also, I may take you up on that offer, but I still need to buy a pickup overhead console, I just have an SUV console in my truck for now and that won't work with the screen unfortunately. It may be a few weeks until I actually get around to doing this, I'm trying to get a parts list and a plan first.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
VSS buffer is that little module behind your glove box that converts the signal from the speed sensor on the transmission into a signal your cluster can read.....You do have a 92-94, right? I can't recall lol. 88-91 had it built into the cluster itself.

The dimmer sig comes off the actual dimmer knob, should be the gray wire plugged in back there. The park lights sig can come directly off the headlight switch. They both have to be connected to the unit for dimming to work.

Last edited:

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
VSS buffer is that little module behind your glove box that converts the signal from the speed sensor on the transmission into a signal your cluster can read.....You do have a 92-94, right? I can't recall lol. 88-91 had it built into the cluster itself.

The dimmer sig comes off the actual dimmer knob, should be the gray wire plugged in back there. The park lights sig can come directly off the headlight switch. They both have to be connected to the unit for dimming to work.
Ah I understand now, yeah I do have a 1994, but why would the display need to read the speed sensor, all it's doing is showing compass and temp right?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Ah I understand now, yeah I do have a 1994, but why would the display need to read the speed sensor, all it's doing is showing compass and temp right?
Correct, but, the S-Series trucks that these came in had severe heat soaking issues. So instead of fixing the heat soaking issue, they built a compensation into the unit so it won't update until you've been driving a bit LOL. And it'll actually use your speed to determine what the temperature reading SHOULD be as compared to what the sensor is actually reading for like...The first 5 minutes of drive time I think.

Something else: You cannot have the same temperature sensor plugged into both the mirror and the console - it won't work. What I did with mine, I use the outdoor temp sensor to plug into my mirror, and I added another temp sensor to the back of my overhead console to plug into the console's reader. So I have both outdoor and inside temp.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
AK49, do you have a list or a thread of all these bad ass mods you've done? I spent a lot of time on another truck forum when I should have signed up here 10 years ago! GMT4ever! LOL when I learn something cool like this I wonder what else I'm missing. haha

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
AK49, do you have a list or a thread of all these bad ass mods you've done? I spent a lot of time on another truck forum when I should have signed up here 10 years ago! GMT4ever! LOL when I learn something cool like this I wonder what else I'm missing. haha
Well, I guess you could clicky the link in my signature for my 97's thread lol. (If you're on mobile and can't see the sig, you should be able to get to it on my profile's info page.)

Or I'll just drop it. https://www.gmt400.com/threads/project-just-keep-it-nice.29926/

It doesn't include all my latest work tho yet lol

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Correct, but, the S-Series trucks that these came in had severe heat soaking issues. So instead of fixing the heat soaking issue, they built a compensation into the unit so it won't update until you've been driving a bit LOL. And it'll actually use your speed to determine what the temperature reading SHOULD be as compared to what the sensor is actually reading for like...The first 5 minutes of drive time I think.

Something else: You cannot have the same temperature sensor plugged into both the mirror and the console - it won't work. What I did with mine, I use the outdoor temp sensor to plug into my mirror, and I added another temp sensor to the back of my overhead console to plug into the console's reader. So I have both outdoor and inside temp.
Seems a bit odd with the VSS thing, but if that's what I gotta do...

Also, that inside temperature mod is genius, I was planning on having it read the exact same thing as the mirror, it was gonna be redundant, but I like doing these kind of retrofitting mods, and inside temp actually helps me justify doing this lol. It'd also be cool if I could find a way to switch between the two sensors, but that's a bit over my head...

I see that 98 ya got there, that's one of the best years to do mods on, just off the top of my head, heated leather seats from a late model burb or other SUV, radio controls on the steering wheel, escalade/denali console, and that screen in the overhead console that we've been talking about can show avg fuel economy, avg speed, and miles to empty on a 96+ truck like yours. And that's just the tip of the iceberg! I'd really like to get a 98 truck someday...