BlackBear tune issue, Truck is short shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do you know what your transmission temperatures are? What type of cooling setup do you have for your transmission? Once again I'm no expert, just throwing out ideas.

EDIT - Also this is unrelated but did you have BBP remove any torque management from the tune? If so I would have them put it back in unless you're OK with grenading your 4L60E in the near future.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also do you run an oiled gauze filter like a K&N or any kind of open box aftermarket intake? Reason I ask is I Googled around a little and found a tech article on Performabuilt's website that says MAF sensor issues can cause problems with WOT upshifts. If you're getting really hot intake air or the MAF is fouled maybe that would cause this?

https://www.performabuilt.com/tech-info/

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Torque reduction is what you're referring to df2x4, brake torque management can be totally wiped out on the black box and makes a big difference. OP TPS and RPM are what the PCM uses to determine shift points. Sometimes if the part throttle stuff isn't matched to the WOT you can get what you're describing, but it worked before so doesn't seem like a tune issue at all.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Torque reduction is what you're referring to df2x4, brake torque management can be totally wiped out on the black box and makes a big difference. OP TPS and RPM are what the PCM uses to determine shift points. Sometimes if the part throttle stuff isn't matched to the WOT you can get what you're describing, but it worked before so doesn't seem like a tune issue at all.

I agree, I don't think it's a tune issue at this point either. And I wasn't aware of the specific parameters in the tune but BBP refers to everything under one lump term of "Torque Management." Considering my experiences I wouldn't recommend that anyone with a 4L60E have them mess with that. They also have a separate "Shift Firmness" request section on the tune order form, that may be the brake torque management you mentioned.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To be clear though, I still think changing torque management or "shift firmness" settings in the tune at all with a 4L60E is a bad idea. They're very fragile as is. IMO if that's the goal he'd be better off installing upgraded servos and a shift kit. It'll still make a huge difference without altering anything in the tune. Then of course he'd be spending money on a 4L60E, which I also don't recommend in any situation.

So... 4L80E swap? :lol:

Sorry, I'm done derailing the thread. Hope you get it figured out @Kailua305

AlohaOBS

Reaction score
Also do you run an oiled gauze filter like a K&N or any kind of open box aftermarket intake? Reason I ask is I Googled around a little and found a tech article on Performabuilt's website that says MAF sensor issues can cause problems with WOT upshifts. If you're getting really hot intake air or the MAF is fouled maybe that would cause this?

https://www.performabuilt.com/tech-info/

My transmission is about as stock as it gets. Aside from new shift solenoids last year. Trans cooling is stock, have never had an issue with the trans overheating, ATF levels are good, fluid isnt burnt. Im gonna take a look at the MAF tonight, thats one thing i havent looked at, could very well be an issue. The intake is stock, however its been missing the upper lid of the air box for years, and it gets HOT here on o’ahu so intake air is guaranteed to be hot and not optimal. And as for torque management, its been 60% reduced for the past 2 years. When this transmission eventually blows, I plan on dropping a 5 speed in its place, I’ve always wanted a manual in my truck. It’ll be a process, but to me its worth it. Thats later on down the line tho. For now I want this 60E to shift where i want it to lmao. Hopefully the maf ends up being faulty or plugged... however with my luck i have a feeling this problem runs deeper than the maf. I Hope and pray its a simple fix tho

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You can shorten shifts on the 4L60, less slippage more better. With it still pulling timing on the upshifts that cushions the blow.

AlohaOBS

Reaction score
Another update, i removed the maf and cleaned it out, took the truck for a test drive, It shifted at 5,500... but only once. And then it went down hill from there, popped a u turn and went WOT again, back to short shifting at 5k. Bought a new MAF at the store for the hell of it, installed it and the problem is still there. Is there any way the VSS sensor is going bad? Its the only other thing i could think of...

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you happen to have a stock PCM? You could swap it out and if the problem goes away, it's the computer, if not it's sensors or wiring.